Re: NetworkManager in fedora 15 various questions/problems

On Tue, 24 May 2011 19:52:32 -0400
Tom Horsley wrote:

if I
right click the network icon and look at connections,
it shows a wireless connection, and even knows the
MAC address but it says it is Disconnected

OK, I tried some stuff and found an answer: Apparently
NM in fedora won't talk to a network that doesn't
broadcast the SSID (in Ubuntu, NM has a "connect to
hidden network" option at the bottom of the list
of wireless interfaces it sees, which worked great
when I booted the ubuntu live USB).

That's worth a bugzilla entry. It won't connect to most Corporate WiFi
networks in that case. There is a valid reason for not putting the SSID in
the beacons which has nothing to do with security, to whit, supporting
multiple SSIDs on one AP, which many corporate systems do to separate public
and private VLANs.

I know there is no real security in hiding the SSID,
but since I am irritated by looking at the SSIDs of
everyone in the neighborhood (most of which all
seem to be called "linksys" :-), I thought I would
at least be nice and avoid cluttering up their
lists with my SSID.

Maybe someone could try convincing linksys to randomise their default SSID,
or include the BSSID in it, but I don't hold out much hope for that. It's
always annoyed me. An identical SSID constitutes a promise that this is the
same network with the same security parameters and you can hop from one to
the other and expect things to carry on working. With the same SSID on lots
of differently-configured APs you may expect most clients to take an
increasingly long time to connect when they walk further from their "real"
home, as they try all those apparently-identical APs with better signal
strength and fail to get authenticated...

Randomising the default SSID would have little-to-no effect on people who
just use WiFi Protected Setup (press the 2 buttons at about the same time)
and hopefully people who thought 'netgear793C4DF377' was ugly would pick
something locally unique to replace it...

Ah well, I should know better than to hope for sensible behaviour by now...

(retires muttering in beard)

--
But while the ant gathered food, the grasshopper contracted to a point on a
manifold that was NOT a 3-sphere...

  • Re: wireless router password security
    ... But please omit the step where disabling SSID broadcast. ... trying to connect to someone else's network. ... someone to connect to my wireless router. ...
    (alt.computer.security)
  • Re: 3com WAP - public/secure and N vs B/G
    ... If they are running an 802.11n network they don't have to allow 11b ... Would I see the SSID, but just not be able to establish a connection? ... some of these "legacy" connections are supposed to work. ... 2.Wifihopper reports SSID and an 11g network with the selected "40MHz" channel. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: setting up WPA Personal (F9 & KDE 4.1 (from updates-testing))
    ... both right clicking and left clicking on the network manager icon. ... broadcasting their SSID. ... not broadcasting it is a useless thing to ... read messages from the public lists. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Can our wifi network be knocked out or blocked from outside?
    ... About 2/3's of their computers use wifi to ... I changed the SSID from the default, ... Their network connection might come up after a minute or two, ... The problem then moves to the client end, ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)
  • Re: Wireless extender Linksys WRE54G unexpectedly switches network
    ... - The SSID is "Wireless" and is unique at our place. ... channel, ... I think that every time my repeater changed ... >>the wanted network. ...
    (alt.internet.wireless)