Re: Not enough info, so no point

On 06/03/11 09:09, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
JD writes:

A user process (such as yum), even with root privs,
CANNOT JUMP OUT OF THE BOUNDARIES OF IT'S ROOT,
NAMELY (for example) /mnt/f15

Umm, that's not true. The chroot(2) man page has a nice explanation of
how a root userid can trivially escape a chroot jail.

So there is no danger that yum executed within a chrooted environment
will affect the enclosing host's yum database (in this case F14).

Nope, that's definitely possible.

We are not talking about hacking!!
we are talking about normal user interaction,
and in this case, limited to running yum update.
There is absolutely no danger in doing so -
been there and done it.

  • Re: Not enough info, so no point
    ... CANNOT JUMP OUT OF THE BOUNDARIES OF IT'S ROOT, ... The chrootman page has a nice explanation of ... we are talking about normal user interaction, ... limited to running yum update. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Great Western Excuses
    ... Why don't they just give the correct and full explanation? ... covers the root cause. ... It does cover the root cause, but it doesn't cover the reason why the root ... "Non-availability of a member of staff means that we cannot use an HST, ...
    (uk.railway)
  • Re: [SLE] Xine install problems -- Advice needed!
    ... > Can someone translate this into English for me? ... That you need to run ldconfig as root. ... Explanation: it is a library, so the system has to be told that it has a ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Why does spam filtering program slow down OE processes?
    ... The techie could offer no explanation. ... > perhaps the next program revision would solve that problem. ... > answer doesn't say much for their customer service dept, ... >> Have you contacted them since they seem to be the root cause of the ...