Re: HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14

On 06/19/2011 08:45 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sat, 2011-06-18 at 17:46 -0500, Manuel Escudero wrote:

I've seen that in Fedora you only have to plug in a printer
and it usually gets recognized and work, You just have to
install these packages:

sudo yum -y install hplip hplip-common

and if you have a HP scanner:

sudo yum -y install libsane-hpaio

It has been working for me like that since
F13 with two or three HP printers and All in Ones
But now I tried it in F14 with a HP Laserjet 5P
and it doesn't work, System does not recognize printer
when I plug it in the USB port (it's a Parallell to USB connection)

I already tried installing HPLiP from the HP binary
and it gave me a GUI, but the printer is still not getting
recognized, it's like I never plug it to the PC.

What am I doing wrong?

I don't know what you are doing wrong. But the default installation of
F15 on my machine has: hplip, hplip-libs, hplip-common and libsane-hpaio
are all installed.

If I remember correctly, the 5P is a parallel printer. You may have
to use CUPS to install a parallel printer, especially if the
parallel port module and the parallel printer module are not being
loaded. I have not checked lately to see if they are loaded by default.

- --

Version: GnuPG v1.4.11 (GNU/Linux)

users mailing list

  • Re:Pulling the Plug On Windows, Literally
    ... he pulls the plug on the machine. ... Inserted Microsoft Windows XP Upgrade cd into cd rom (This was a genuine ... System asked if I wanted to do an upgrade or new install ... My friend wanted to see how to reboot machine, so as not to depend on ...
  • Re: Proper outlet orientation
    ... Haven't got many'double' duplex outlets at ... Also you do run into equipment cords that 'run off' in different ... batteries etc. whch has a moulded grounding plug, ... I may just install the duplex outlets 'sideways'????????? ...
  • Re: Windows printer installation nightmare
    ... Just like the directions and pretty pictures showed. ... to install the printer driver and some extra software that does not ... Because I installed the drivers and Plug and Play did not need to do ...
  • Re: HP Laserjet 5P in Fedora 14
    ... I've seen that in Fedora you only have to plug in a printer ... sudo yum -y install hplip hplip-common ... the 5P is a parallel printer. ... I'll try to use a Parallel Port ...
  • Re: interface eth0 failure - RH enterprise WS
    ... > Everything went well during the install (I used downloaded ISO's that I ... > to plug in the ethernet cable from my cablemodem/router so it failed. ... network would've solved the problem no matter what the distribution. ... Have you tried doing an manual insmod and manual restarting of the ...