Re: Paradigm shift going from Gnome2 to Gnome3

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 11:56:35AM +0900, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
Corporate and home users are already being expected (by that company in
Redmond) to upgrade to higher end hardware for their latest offerings as
well. The difference is that Fedora has fallback functionality that
works without the hardware acceleration, as well as other options for
the desktop.

My customers (small and mid-sized businesses in Japan) are interested in
Linux specifically because they can cheaply clean and refurbish old
desktop hardware and save tons of money in the office. Telling them that
the next big thing on the Linux desktop is a cumbersome beast which
requires high end hardware the in a similar way Windows does tips the
balance away from cheap (read as "harmless" or "low overhead")
experimentation with Linux and back towards just sticking with Windows.
And let's face it, any smart company plays with a future platform before
they commit, so the cost of experimentation is a significant point to
consider.

But does Fedora 15 "require high end hardware"? No, it doesn't. You can
run other desktops, such as XFCE (which you mention as well), and still
run all of the same apps.

So while Gnome 3 may require better video hardware than was available on
an eight year old machine, that doesn't mean Fedora 15 itself requires
that better hardware.

Delivering value year after year.
http://www.redhat.com/promo/vendor/

  • Re: red hat linux
    ... I am new to Linux and trying to install REd Hat Linux 3 & Ferora as from ... it's way to old to install on modern hardware. ... Fedora 9 which should install just fine on your hardware. ...
    (comp.os.linux.hardware)
  • Re: List of laptop (pcmcia) wirelss network cards
    ... This is the closest to a Hardware Compatability List for Fedora. ... that do fully and partially support Linux. ... > always try to search the web and mailing lists when I have trouble. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Linux Desktop for university staff
    ... Step 1) Take a look at your Linux boxes. ... Step 4) You were asked to define your hardware, your software, and your ... Next tell us about the actual package she is having a problems with: ... To keep this thread Fedora based, we should be able to use Fedora-type ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [OT] Fedora-List Trivia - # of Messages in 1 Year
    ... > I am using Fedora because after a short time with SuSE in 1998 I ... > 1,5 year I had Debian Woody on my desktop system, but the stable Debian ... > hardware, which runs for limited and specific purposes. ... I'm using gentoo as my main distro now. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora 12 install woes
    ... Make sure that you don't have any hardware problems. ... memory and video. ... Fedora is probably the most picky when it comes ... Just a quick note on "bad caps" whilst a visual inspection will allow ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)