Re: LXDE is an acceptable substitute for Gnome 2

On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 15:19:05 +0200
Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I'm curious why doesn't anyone even mention KDE as an alternative
for Gnome3? As it seems, these days KDE4 is by far the most advanced,
most mature and most configurable desktop environment out there.

On my old hardware, KDE is a resource hog. The DE runs like it is
moving through molasses. On newer hardware it probably isn't
noticeable. And for the short time I did run it, it was different
enough that there was a learning curve. LXDE and XFCE are probably
much closer to Gnome 2 in behavior.

I'm using the Gnome 3 fallback mode on F15, and my DE has snappy
response. I suspect the same would be true of LXDE or XFCE.

  • Re: Anyone interested in a "GNOME 2 look and feel" remix?
    ... XFCE with two panels. ... them to look like GNOME 2.x. ... They /need/ hardware 3D to work; if you don't have it, ... This also means that if your OpenGL rendering is less than ...
    (Ubuntu)
  • Re: You can have any color you want - as long as its Gnome?
    ... the Gnome desktop. ... I didn't see Xfce listed at all. ... installation -- it was probably me. ... I guess most people go with LXDE ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to Switch Between Gnome and KDE
    ... There is also at least one fork of an older version of Gnome, ... I see this mentioned a lot that Gnome-Shell won't run on hardware more ... my usual jobs, and the distinct loss of speed, so I switched to LXDE. ... And it is indeed the shell, and not Gnome itself which was the issue, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Part 2 - updating squeeze to wheezy
    ... Classic" or "Gnome Fallback". ... give LXDE or XFCE a try. ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Problem with RTL8178
    ... So, as a novice, how do I switch the default desktop on F16 to the old Gnome ... you prefer something lightweight, try XFCE or LXDE. ...
    (Fedora)