Re: How to rebuild the kernel for the network install

2011/9/28 Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 09/28/2011 02:57 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
As the title says, I'd like to reinstall fedora 15 with the netinstall
image because it's about 100mb (kernel and initrd) instead of the
install dvds. My problem is that those files located in
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/os/isolinux/
have long been outdated. As you can see the kernel is only 3.7mb and
the initrd almost 94mb. How to rebuild them from the latest
kernel-2.6.40.4-6.fc15?

--joshua

1. yum install dracut-network

2. use dracut (like mkinitrd) # dracut initrd.img `uname -r`

That's it.

Yoy can PXE boot that, or roll it up into a bootable iso, which is what
netboot is.

But why not just use the existing iso?  easier

Good Luck!

I want to reinstall fedora on a intel fake-raid1 which is practically
a software raid. In order to save all the config headaches I want to
use a f16-livecd and rebuild the netinstall image with the kernel for
f15 (kernel-2.6.40.4-6.fc15) and just boot from it. So from your
example '# dracut initrd.img `uname -r' I think `uname -r` will return
the running f16 kernel, not the one I want to use. Do I need the
kernel-devel-package for this?

  • Re: booting from ISO image on HD?
    ... >> through customized initrd files for each one. ... > between the loopback device and the underlying file (the iso image). ... I have to insmod the loop kernel module(e.g. ... how can you boot it from an initrd??? ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: fsck fails during boot with 2.6.9-34.0.1.EL kernel because root filesystem is already rw mou
    ... I think there was a little fault in building the new initrd. ... The mount-command of the init-script is wrong and makes confusing, e.g.: first the root-filesystem must mount read/write, it accepts. ... It looks like in the early stage of the booting, when the kernel is using the initrd to load the ... I still do not understand why in my new initrd file, with the new kernel, the root filesystem is ...
    (RedHat)
  • Re: Now wont boot (was: Re: Squeeze assembles one RAID array, at boot but not the other
    ... Different kernel version ... Won't boot. ... directories of an initrd bootstrapping image. ... Because your raid did not assemble the ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: How to rebuild the kernel for the network install
    ... image because it's about 100mb (kernel and initrd) instead of the ... install dvds. ... the initrd almost 94mb. ... Yoy can PXE boot that, or roll it up into a bootable iso, which is what ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: 2.6.26-rc5-mm1
    ... In my case it turns out to be gcov patches - in which I'm interested ... initrd overwrites kernel: When kernel and initrd are loaded to static ... minimal memory configuration any more. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)