Re: How to rebuild the kernel for the network install

2011/9/28 Phil Meyer <pmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 09/28/2011 02:57 AM, Joshua C. wrote:
As the title says, I'd like to reinstall fedora 15 with the netinstall
image because it's about 100mb (kernel and initrd) instead of the
install dvds. My problem is that those files located in
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/15/Fedora/x86_64/os/isolinux/
have long been outdated. As you can see the kernel is only 3.7mb and
the initrd almost 94mb. How to rebuild them from the latest
kernel-2.6.40.4-6.fc15?

--joshua

1. yum install dracut-network

2. use dracut (like mkinitrd) # dracut initrd.img `uname -r`

That's it.

Yoy can PXE boot that, or roll it up into a bootable iso, which is what
netboot is.

But why not just use the existing iso?  easier

Good Luck!

I want to reinstall fedora on a intel fake-raid1 which is practically
a software raid. In order to save all the config headaches I want to
use a f16-livecd and rebuild the netinstall image with the kernel for
f15 (kernel-2.6.40.4-6.fc15) and just boot from it. So from your
example '# dracut initrd.img `uname -r' I think `uname -r` will return
the running f16 kernel, not the one I want to use. Do I need the
kernel-devel-package for this?