Re: F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 11:43 -0700, JD wrote:
On 10/10/2011 11:16 AM, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
On 10/10/2011 11:36 PM, JD wrote:

But that argues against your own argument that
a script will contain bugs. Of course it will - every
software ever written had them, and will have them.
yes. so why is replacing one program with bugs with another script with
bugs considered a solution? It isn't
Preupgrade is not a single operation solution. The
user is expected to know several complex operations
and execute them in right order.
----
perhaps if you actually ran 'preupgrade' you would discover that you
don't have the slightest clue what you are talking about.
----
A yum upgrade script would be a single point solution
that a user could run. If problems, then user could report
the results, along with a log file that a script could leave
behind. That is a very desirable solution for all non-techies
and newbs.
----
again... not a clue what you are talking about.
----
Also, you yourself said that upgrading via yum is
a very complex process:
> Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least.

So, by virtue of that statement itself, non-techies and
newbs most certainly need such an expertly written script(s).
Scripts are not going to magically make things easier. Scripting is far
more likely to be fragile as well. I didn't say yum upgrades are
complex. I said upgrades are complex.
That is a very interesting opinion which ignores the fact
that scripts are easier to fix than binaries.
With so many scripts which are running the system,
then by your argument they should all be abandoned
because you opine that they are fragile and thus unreliable
and thus the whole system is unreliable.
Fear of possible bugs is no reason for rejecting a much needed
solution.

It seems to me that so many people invest so much steam
into their opinion, that they find it hard to back off and admit
that a proposed request for a solution is worth pursuing and
implementing by the experts in the field for the benefit of all.
----
If you actually think you know what you are talking about and have any
skill whatsoever, then by all means, have at it.

I suppose it doesn't occur to you that your contention is entirely
without knowledge or merit.

Craig

believed to be clean.

  • Re: [2.6.27] filesystem (ext3) corruption (access beyond end)
    ... Ok I ran several disk-intensive jobs (git clone, kernel build, apt-get dist-upgrade) ... but none of those could trigger any bugs. ... BUT, running my http://vanheusden.com/pyk/ script, I definately can trigger the ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • smatch and tun.c
    ... One just looks for bugs where a variable is ... dereferenced while initializing a local variable and checked for NULL like ... This script printed 96 warnings. ... Smatch scripts tends to have a lot of false positives. ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Fw: Re: [2.6.27] filesystem (ext3) corruption (access beyond end)
    ... Ok I ran several disk-intensive jobs (git clone, kernel build, apt-get dist-upgrade) ... but none of those could trigger any bugs. ... BUT, running my http://vanheusden.com/pyk/ script, I definately can trigger the ...
    (Linux-Kernel)
  • Re: Is this a good idea?
    ... you risk introducting bugs into ... in memory - induces lazyness in the programmers. ... >> few MB per script, ... Sometimes it does not - sometimes, due to lazy programming or bad DB design, ...
    (comp.lang.php)
  • Re: F15 preupgrade: lots of uneraseable dupes
    ... a script will contain bugs. ... > Upgrading a distribution is a fairly complex process to say the least. ... I said upgrades are complex. ...
    (Fedora)