Remote access

Is there a way to use ssh to get through a firewall for remote access to a
system? The situation I'm looking at is a Fedora system sitting behind a
company firewall, which I have no control over, that I wish to gain access
to by logging into it over the Internet from a remote computer. In other
words the connection is initiated from outside of the firewalled company
network.

What I'm thinking is using ssh to forward a port, 3389, to another computer
on my own private network (also behind a firewall and NAT router) at home
acting as a middle man. Then from another computer, lets say at a hotel,
logging in to the same computer on my private home network and have it pass
traffic bidirectionaly between the two end point computers.

Is this something than can be done using ssh and if so how? I would also
like to have the remote Fedora system connection to the middle man computer
remain even if the remote computer is not connected.

Regards,

Leland C. Scott
KC8LDO

"The most reliable components
are the ones you leave out."

Gordon Bell, father of the
minicomputer at DEC.

  • Re: Remote access
    ... company firewall, which I have no control over, that I wish to gain access ... to by logging into it over the Internet from a remote computer. ... What I'm thinking is using ssh to forward a port, 3389, to another ... like to have the remote Fedora system connection to the middle man ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Remote access
    ... company firewall, which I have no control over, that I wish to gain access ... What I'm thinking is using ssh to forward a port, 3389, to another computer ... like to have the remote Fedora system connection to the middle man computer ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Remote X access with ssh complicated by NAT
    ... Suspicion: you hop in via a firewall on the remote end. ... $ ssh remote_firewall ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • RE: [Full-disclosure] SSH Bruteforce blocking script
    ... >host is blacklisted. ... Even if you have customers who need remote access, ... PIX firewall due to management decisions and a resource ... and I can introduce an iptables rule to only allow SSH ...
    (Full-Disclosure)
  • Re: Remote X access with ssh complicated by NAT
    ... Suspicion: you hop in via a firewall on the remote end. ... $ ssh remote_firewall ...
    (linux.redhat.misc)