Re: doc question on private network IP allocation

On 10/15/2011 08:14 AM, Greg Woods wrote:
On Sat, 2011-10-15 at 21:41 +1030, Tim wrote:

MAC filtering is utterly pointless.
We use it on *wired* networks, primarily to prevent visitors whose
laptops have not been properly vetted (and may be crawling with malware)
from connecting to our internal network. It is not expected to keep out
serious bad guys. Like most security measures, the effectiveness is
measured against what you are trying to accomplish, not against whether
it succeeds in giving you unbreakable security.

--Greg

Greg:

Awhile back I looked around to see if I could find any information about
whether MAC address filtering could be set up for wired on a "home
router" (as in Linksys or Netgear). I didn't see anything and assumed
that it was only for wireless.

In your usage, is it through the router(s) that you enforce wired MAC
access?

Not certain if I want to deal with it on a home network, but I am curious

Thanks,
Paul

  • Re: Name resolution on a dual homed host
    ... > I've got a Debian woody box acting as firewall for a small home network. ... > has two ethernet cards with the internal network one being static and the ... request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers, ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Name resolution on a dual homed host
    ... I've got a Debian woody box acting as firewall for a small home network. ... has two ethernet cards with the internal network one being static and the ... for name resolution but every time eth1 reconnects to comcast.net it ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Trouble with Bind
    ... I have a home network behind a netgear router which acts a a ... I also run bind on a box on the internal network so that I ... uses a forwarders; statement ... How can I debug what is happening. ...
    (Debian-User)