Re: Creating partitions

On Sun, 2011-10-23 at 09:57 -0500, Miguel Cardenas wrote:
For years I used to create 2 primary partitions, SWAP and EXT3, but
now I found that Fedora requires a different layout with more
partitions like other *nix operating systems that distribute the space
in more areas for home, root, usr, etc.

That's news to me. It used to be *advised* to use several partitions,
then that advice changed to being a bare minimum of / /boot and swap
(great fun in doing a fsck on a whopping huge partition on today's huge
large drives). But either was just advice, only the bare minimum were
required, and swap could be a file in a partition, though that hasn't
always been a good idea.

I still don't like the idea of an independent boot partition but let's
do it in the Fedora way...

It used to be advised to have a separate /boot partition, near the start
of the disc, so that the BIOS will have no trouble reading it to begin
booting. Some computers couldn't boot up from files deep into the
drive. I don't know how valid that concern is, any more.

Now, there's a second purpose to the /boot partition, it's also used to
hold large amounts of files during an upgrade-installation, since
that /boot partition will not be removed during an upgrade, but other
partitions may be.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.

  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 51, Issue 51
    ... A sneak peek at Fedora 9 ... the machinations of the wicked." ... LVM & retroactively creating encrypted /home partition ... some people here do the default install of Fedora and it ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Help with a little dd damage!
    ... Partition 3 has different physical/logical beginnings: ... Feb 28 20:20:57 morgansmachine kernel: EXT3-fs: write access will be enabled during recovery. ... So, fingers firmly crossed, have I managed to copy enough of my hard drive with the first two commands to be able to patch back the catastrophic damage I seem to have done with the last command. ... "By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: M$ question [OFF TOPIC]
    ... I know this is a fedora group and ... Used partition to partition copy ... This works well however ghost does not recogize specific partition ... In addition to some of the other comments already, what is the bios ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora upgrade to a new partition
    ... I've got a laptop that currently has WinXP, Fedora 14, Ubuntu 9.10, ... Fedora 14 nor the Ubuntu 10.10 can do that. ... What lives in the Master Boot ... GRUB2 is anxious to NOT use a partition Boot Record. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: fedora-list Digest, Vol 19, Issue 65
    ... in fedora core3 on 915 intel origenal motherboard how to install xmms patch? ... > An HTML attachment was scrubbed... ... I used Powerquest's Partition ...
    (Fedora)