Re: system console redirection - all but boot messages redirected ttyS0?

On 24/11/11 18:27, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Morgan Read <mstuff@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
Thanks for getting back - I followed your instructions. It seemed I
needed to swap console=ttyS0 and console=tty0 BUT opposite from what you
suggested. That is, console=ttyS0 was last and by swapping it with
console=tty0 and making console=ttyS0 listed first I had rc script
(userspace) messages reported to ttyS0... Strange?

Stranger still, when I did the above, I stopped getting a login prompt
on ttyS0. So, swapping as I said above (opposite to your suggestion)
gave me rc script messages to ttyS0 and no login...

Do you have any ideas how to get the login prompt back?

It is a bug in plymouth (which provides the graphical boot animations).
You can add "rd_NO_PLYMOUTH" to your boot line (as long as you don't
have encrypted filesystems) and the serial console should work as
expected (with console=ttyS0 listed after console=tty0).

I think it is fixed in newer plymouth, but I'm not sure. I see the bug
on RHEL 6 systems, and the fix has not been released there yet.

Ah, of course I should have searched bugzilla...
Is this the bug here:

Many thanks,

Morgan Read

Confused about DRM?
Get all the info you need at:
users mailing list
Have a question? Ask away:

Relevant Pages

  • Re: system console redirection - all but boot messages redirected ttyS0?
    ... messages reported to ttyS0... ... swapping as I said above (opposite to your suggestion) ... It is a bug in plymouth. ...
  • Re: Number formats in Excel
    ... the opposite of what you want. ... I'm not sure what is causing that, ... here is a suggestion. ... Format>Cells>Number and choose the type of formatting you want the ...
  • Re: NovaPal website
    ... setpal support ended after the Daewoo collapse. ... Going into the engineering menu will allow swapping back to the ... Just a suggestion!). ...
  • Re: Robert Chin is nowhere to be found...
    ... only to have people still mentioning his name - pretty much ... the opposite of your suggestion. ... him to send you an autographed picture. ...
  • Re: Looking for 9602 chip
    ... im assuming this is for a bally cpu. ... Just a suggestion, but did you ... try testing or swapping out the 7437 ic next to it? ... at GPE is out of stock, and said these are hard to find. ...