Re: Screensaver takes too much time to fade-out...

On Thu, 2011-12-15 at 15:11 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
Which email virus are you thinking of? I don't know any that would work
on both Windows and Linux, but no doubt someone has tried.

I'm not thinking of any of them. I was using email viruses as an
example of something we used to think was impossible.

Was there such a time? I distinctly remember discussion on the EXMH list
(EXMH was a Tcl/Tk-based interface to the MH mail library) way back in
the 80's, in which someone proposed allowing the mail body to contain
executable content. They were very quickly shouted down by people who
immediately realized the potential for evil.

Note that this was before MS created Outlook, IOW those of us who place
the bulk of the virus problem at MS' door are not just being paranoid.
MS had to have known this was possible, they just didn't care.

But I digress ...

poc

  • Re: Clamav
    ... Even if we limit the discussion to email viruses, ... Even when running as root, Linux mail clients won't blindly execute ... Most viruses are written for Windows as it's the most ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... working knowledge of Indian programmers DNA, nor of their intuitive Java ... > So Longhorn is not an experiment and Linux is an experiment? ... another chapter in the Windows story, and the Microsoft marketing machine is ... > application opens, Check the about, it says Microsoft Visual Basic 6.3. ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)
  • FTP DOWNLOAD! More than 6500 CRACKED SOFTWARE(CAD,CAE,CAM,ED
    ... Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2005 ... DASSAULT SYSTEMES CAA ENOVIA LCA V5R13 ... ALTAIR.OPTISTRUCT V5.1 for LINUX ... ANSYS V8.0 FOR WINDOWS ...
  • Linux for Senior Citizens
    ... Linux for Senior Citizens ... For such people, I believe, Windows really is a better option: ... The kernel manages all the hardware and also looks after all running ...
    (uk.people.silversurfers)
  • Re: Future of IT in Lebanon
    ... It's the same Linux code base. ... Microsoft Office on a Windows server, it will install and run fine, the main ...
    (soc.culture.lebanon)