Re: SSH on Fedora 16

On Friday, December 23, 2011 10:07:00 AM Daniel Bossert wrote:
On 12/23/2011 04:14 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
On Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:30:16 +0100

suvayu ali wrote:
It would be helpful if you could give more details and say what
command you are trying and its output with the verbose flag set like
this -vvv.

Yep, the -vvv option on the remote ssh and taking a look at
/var/log/messages and /var/log/secure should provide details about why
failure happens. Perhaps the sshd_config file is set to only allow
public key connections? That would certainly make a password attempt
fail (and is how I have my server setup for remote connections versus
local network connections where I do allow passwords).

Hello

Here are the outputs:

Output from the remote machine:

daniel@saturn:~$ ssh -vvv daniel@xxxxxxxxxx
OpenSSH_5.5p1 Debian-6+squeeze1, OpenSSL 0.9.8o 01 Jun 2010
<...text deleted...>

[root@merkur ~]# cat /etc/ssh/sshd_config
# $OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.82 2010/09/06 17:10:19 naddy Exp $

# This is the sshd server system-wide configuration file. See
# sshd_config(5) for more information.

<...text deleted...>
# Set this to 'yes' to enable PAM authentication, account processing,
# and session processing. If this is enabled, PAM authentication will
# be allowed through the ChallengeResponseAuthentication and
# PasswordAuthentication. Depending on your PAM configuration,
# PAM authentication via ChallengeResponseAuthentication may bypass
# the setting of "PermitRootLogin without-password".
# If you just want the PAM account and session checks to run without
# PAM authentication, then enable this but set PasswordAuthentication
# and ChallengeResponseAuthentication to 'no'.
# WARNING: 'UsePAM no' is not supported in Fedora and may cause several
# problems.
#UsePAM no
#UsePAM yes

Could you try "UsePAM yes" without the leading #, as in
UsePAM yes

# Accept locale-related environment variables
AcceptEnv LANG LC_CTYPE LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_COLLATE LC_MONETARY
LC_MESSAGES
<...text deleted...>

Kind regards
Daniel