Boot disk?

Is there a way to identify which disk the BIOS is using to boot from (eg disk 0 or 1) when I don't have physical access to the system to view the BIOS settings?

The situation is this, I have a machine at a remote location where the system runs RAID-1 and both disks (0 and 1) can boot the system, I need to rewrite the boot sectors on the disks and I don't have easy access to the machine so I have to be careful as to which order I do them.

Thanks, Jeff

  • Re: maximum hard drive size in Latitude cpi
    ... > actually written a boot loader they won't be so adamant about how "Windows ... > of the disk, and while it is being read off of the disk the machine is ... > limitatoins of that BIOS. ... After that the kernel takes over. ...
    (comp.sys.laptops)
  • Re: About Windows 8 (UPDATE)
    ... Asus boot screen straight to the bootloader. ... flashed to the latest BIOS last week. ... Windows 8 is now seeing all my hard drives, even the 3TB drive that's partitioned in half. ... With those slots assigned to the four original drive letters, choosing to "rescan disks" in disk management had no effect when I'd connected my four additional SATA HDDs. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)
  • Re: Grub hangs - two hard drives and a CD
    ... > What you wrote is all based on a wrong assumption that grub numbers drives ... > that the BIOS will call to boot an OS. ... The Bios calls to read disk require the register DL to ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)
  • Re: How to use a corrupted hard drive as an external hard drive
    ... Do I just attach it and boot the computer like normal? ... Thank you in advance for any guidance you can give me as I am technically challenged and attaching all the cables correctly is a challenge. ... should see the identity string in the BIOS screen. ... as they exist on the disk). ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware)
  • Re: About Windows 8 (UPDATE)
    ... Asus boot screen straight to the bootloader. ... flashed to the latest BIOS last week. ... The solution was in "disk management." ... When installing a new OS I always have to reassign their drive letters to get them out of the way of the real drives, but all drives do appear with no special help from disk management. ...
    (alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus)