Re: Static ethernet connection

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm not sure that the network service is available on Fedora 16, which
is OK, because this works fine as is, along with "ifup eth0".
ONBOOT=yes does not work in my context.  BTW, what is BOOTPROTO=static?

The network service is still available on F16, though it uses
systemd's SysV comptaibility mode. Either "systemctl enable
network.service" or "chkconfig network on" will enable it.

"BOOTPROTO=dhcp" configures your connection to obtain an IP address
from a DHCP server, while "BOOTPROTO=static" allows you to assign a
static IP address. The reason it's called "BOOTPROTO" is historical:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootp

As it happens, my problem turned out to be that dnsmasq was not
running. It used to be, as you know, that there was a nice service
configuration tool that would prompt you as to what you might need. No
longer (sigh).

Actually, system-config-services got ported to systemd, and works
rather nicely with it.

-T.C.

  • Re: Problem: FC2, Dell Latitude CSx, Linksys PCM100 EtherFast 10/100 Integrated PC Card
    ... > pcnet_cs device eth0 does not seem to be present, ... I don't have the linksys card, I use a xircom and a D-Link DWL-G650 ... What happens is the network service starts ... before the pcmcia service. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: sharepoint error
    ... Let's make sure the Local Service and Network Service ... When I browse to server's ip address, I> get the Welcome to Windows Small Business Server 2003 home page. ... Consider> granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ... > t context) +97 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: RWW
    ... Add Local Service and Network Service account Read & Execute, ... Consider> granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ... System.Web.Compilation.PreservedAssemblyEntry.EnsureFirstTimeInit(HttpContex> t context) +98 ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Strange service behavior when setting service registry Context value to 1
    ... I've got an application that I've made into a network service. ... Context value at zero, I'm able to load and start the service manually, ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.developer.networking)