ifcfg-em1 ?

I was in the process of working on a F16 system (upgraded from a F15 system) and had moved it to a new network temporarily and had adjusted the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 file from the console prior to shutting down the system so that it would be all set with the new address, gateway etc when it was restarted.

upon completion of the work I modified the ifcfg-em1 with the new/final IP address information prior to the shutdown. I was doing this across a network (ssh) session and as soon as I saved the file I lost all connectivity to the machine. I logged into the console and found no IP address information on the em1 interface, didn't think too much of it since it needed to be restarted anyway and moved it to it final network location.

After it was in place I noticed that I needed to correct the entries for DNS to point to itself since it is running a nameserver, no other changes were made to the file except to adjust "DNS1=..." saved the file and again I loose network connectivity with no IP information on the em1 interface.

Question is, what is monitoring this file that causes a loss of connectivity like this? I am looking to simply have a static entry on the interface and my simple ifcfg-em1 file is as follows:

Thanks,Jeff

DEVICE=em1
HWADDR=00:E0:81:34:85:C2
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
USERCTL=no
#
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.240
IPADDR=192.168.10.34
PREFIX=28
DOMAIN=domain.org
NAME="System em1"
IPV6INIT=yes
NM_CONTROLLED=no
GATEWAY=192.168.10.33
DNS1=192.168.10.34
MTU=1500
PEERDNS=yes

  • Re: Remote User Management
    ... The problem is management of remote computers and compliance ... when they do not have network ... We have been considering installing Site-Link VPN appliances at the ... establish connectivity to domain resources. ...
  • Re: Network desintegrating(?)
    ... All symptoms of network connectivity problems. ... I can't ping Telserv from the clients or Noodserv. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: Network desintegrating(?)
    ... All symptoms of network connectivity problems. ... I can't ping Telserv from the clients or Noodserv. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: ActiveSync 4.2 disables Wireless networking when not connected
    ... Initially Wireless network icon appears with Excellent connectivity, and when viewing connection status appears connected, but on detail page no IP or DNS etc listed. ... But no application level internet access, ipconfig /all returns no media adapter details unless Internet Sharing turned on with Windows Mobile via USB, in which case only lists that LAN interface and not the fixed and wireless connection. ...
    (microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync)
  • Re: Error number: 0x80190193
    ... It didn't work the first time, but now it has and WU is working again! ... mind my using their wireless connectivity. ... As for the WindowsUpdate folder, ... Both symptoms could be caused by network security between your ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsupdate)