Re: lvm

On 03/04/2012 12:17 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 04.03.2012 21:13, schrieb Peter Larsen:
> Only on systems that are dual-booted does
> partitions make sense. With Grub2 we can now have a single partition for
> everything - and the reason we have the partition table is due to the
> bios needs during boot.

is this a joke?

No. I think that Mr. Larsen simply misunderstood, or generalized too far. Nothing except (maybe) Windows cares about partition types or the boot flag, and starting from there he landed on the Island of Conclusions and decided that that meant that if you're not dual booting, you don't ever need multiple partitions.

I know -- Oh Ghod, how well I know! -- how easy it is to forget that most people don't have decades of computer experience and that things that are intuitively obvious to those of us who do are sometimes incomprehensible to the less experienced. And, of course, the requirements of those of us using Linux only at home aren't the same as for those using it professionally, especially when it comes to backups and security. Still, it's good to have some insight from the professional side if only to show us how different the two environments are and what we'd have to take into account if we were using Linux to run even a small business.

  • Re: Windows multiboot (aaargh!)
    ... >> The Linux boot floppy is a bit more tricky. ... So I tried adding cfdisk to a spare Debian Woody boot ... > I reduced all the partition sizes by a third. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: Linux, XP, Win2003 Server multi-boot
    ... Go to PC magazine's web site and do a search on "partitioning for linux" to see articles and reviews about partitioning philosophy and tools. ... Tools are now available in many bootable CD based Linux distributions to resize the C: partition of your disk drive to make room for Linux. ... I finally got the new machine - it came with one of those 'recovery' disks - and a 5 gig recovery partition that isn't supposed to be deleted. ... Once I feel I have everything in order - always lose something when I get a new computer - I'll format that disk and install Linux & Win2003 on it I guess. ...
    (alt.os.linux.redhat)
  • Re: Linux Windows dual boot not restoring properly
    ... Linux is showing the Windows folders in its file manager under the name of what effectively was drive C. ... decreases that Windows partition size in order to make a partition ... And at startup, can scan the hard drives, for partition types it ...
    (alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt)
  • Disc Partitioning for Multi-Boot (long)
    ... We need to get the data off of the NTFS partition. ... But the next question is how to partition the drive so Windows and Linux ... The fdisk supplied with Windows 98 cannot manage that disc. ... How shall I make a multi-boot system out of that machine, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Panasonic HD Recorders - What disk format?
    ... The earlier part of this is more about what may be Linux partitioning, ... might be possible to present the recorder with a larger disk already ... Most DOS/Windows utilities such as FDisk, Ghost, and Partition Magic Pro ... prompts to format it. ...
    (alt.os.linux)