Re: synchronize time

On Mon, 2012-03-05 at 17:15 +1030, Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2012-03-04 at 15:57 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
Well your point is incorrect. Cups browsing did not work if UTC was
not set. TThe clocks were set correctly. The hardware clock was
operating on UTC time and the system clock was running on local time.

You just don't get it, do you?! You've even said it above:

Your hardware clock is running on UTC

Therefore, you ***MUST*** set your clock configuration to say that UTC
is set. If you do not, then your time is set wrong.

Correct setting of your time is dependent on the hardware clock, setting
the UTC/not-UTC flag, and setting the correct timezone. The combination
of them all allows the computer to work out what localtime is.

Again, I repeat, it's not a CUPS fault that it doesn't like UTC set.
It's your fault that you're running your clock on UTC but saying that it
is not.

The UTC/not-UTC setting is for the hardware clock, not the software
clock.

If you run the hardware clock on UTC, then you set the UTC flag for UTC.

If you run the hardware clock on local time, then set the UTC flag for
local time.

CUPS will work either way. It doesn't care whether one clock is set to
UTC, or not. What it cares about is the correct time.

But if you set your hardware clock on UTC, but say it's running
localtime; or, if you set your clock on localtime, but say it's running
on UTC; you ARE going to have problems, because doing so is just plain
wrong.

*** THE UTC FLAG IS FOR THE HARDWARE CLOCK ***
^^^^^^^^
I've said this about three times, in three emails, what's so hard to
understand about it?

It is not hard and that is what I have been saying from the beginning.

  • Re: [kde] FTP with different timezone on the server
    ... clock set to UTC, with the timezone set appropriately so once you're ... booted it displays local time, or is the computer's hardware clock set to ... Setting the hardware clock to UTC and letting the software do the ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Internet time on computer
    ... boot OSX and Windows - OSX expects the internal BIOS clock to be GMT, Windows wants it to be local time, so the 2 operating systems fight w. ... Operating systems store and retrieve the time in the hardware clock located on your motherboard so that it can keep track of the time even when the system does not have power. ... Most operating systems store the time on the hardware clock as UTC by default, though some systems store the time on the hardware clock as the 'local' time. ...
    (alt.horology)
  • Re: [opensuse] Time Incorrect in New Installed opensuse 11.1
    ... I have the same problem in brand new installed opensuse 11.0, ... If you are setting to localtime, try setting the hardware clock to UTC ...
    (SuSE)
  • [kde] Re: Datetimes on files from my phone are off by three hours
    ... timezone, as is the computer. ... One reason for this is that UTC doesn't have the ambiguity of "summer" aka ... The other option is to set the hardware clock to local time, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: System Time advances 1 hour each bootup; /etc/localtime linked to non-mounted file?
    ... ]Since we entered BST, each time I reboot the machine, the system time ... attempt to keep the hardware clock accurate, ... clock in UTC not localtime. ... ]the system thinks it is in UTC at the time "hwclock" is called. ...
    (comp.os.linux.setup)