Re: Strange message at startup

On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 09:21 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 01:14 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 18:07 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
On 03/08/2012 05:04 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
You are right but changing the desktop environment is what OP seems
to want to do.
No - he wants to change the Display Manager, because he is getting a
blank background and an error message from the display manager.
Because he is using KDE as his desktop, he wants to use KDE for his
display manager as well. That will probably take care of the error
message. It is partially covered up by the login block, but we
suspect that it is complaining about missing thyme files.

Thanks to all for your attention, though it is a little strange to read
speculations about what I want to do. I have been away from computers
for a few days and have not been able to read email. I want to find out
why the system is producing this unreadable message:
A problem h[<login area>]dministrator.
on a black screen at system startup ONLY and not when logging in again
on a running system. I definitely don't want to run Gnome, since I
don't like its user interface (personal preference). I have tried the
kdm login system, and it doesn't seem to work properly:
* It doesn't remember the last session run and always starts me
(oddly) running Gnome unless I select KDE explicitly.
* The Show List (of users) function which appears in
System Settings->Login Screen->Users doesn't seem to do
anything. No list appears on the login screen when it's
activated.
* KDE keeps forgetting my font settings when I reboot the system.
(There may be something else going on here, but it certainly
looks that way.)
So I'm back to gdm.

The suggestion that the system is missing some "thyme" files is
interesting. What is "thyme"? There doesn't seem to be any rpm with
that name; the only rpm containing files of the form '*/thyme*' is
tuxpaint-stamps, which doesn't seem promising.

Despite arguing about the difference between a desktop environment and a
window manager I would like to know the following. Do you run KDE in the
following way? In the Login GUI after you enter you user name but not
yet you passwd there will be a slot in the lower left of the display
that allows you to set the desktop environment to Gnome, KDE, XFCE, etc.
To bring up KDE do you chose KDE and then enter you passwd. That should
set things up so KDE comes up whenever you login, Now is that how you
are bringing up KDE?

Currently I'm running KDE with the Desktop Environment set to Gnome as
follows:
/etc/sysconfig/desktop does not exist
and the window manager, which is set on the login screen and remembered
after setting, being KDE.

Things work properly except for the first login screen after a boot.

jon

  • Re: [opensuse] Using windows shares
    ... Network, though I haven't done much there. ... my current logged-in linux username and password to login to shares. ... The KDE control panel helps alot - I use it at the moment - It just ... believe the KDE and Gnome management of smb, ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [opensuse] switch between desktops
    ... I now have Gnome and KDE running at the same ... you can login to other ... Gnome or other desktops there. ... whatever other session is open), ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: How to change login user picture
    ... Actually I was using KDE and Control Center without success. ... So that means that default splash login is a gnome application ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: [SLE] Logout from a corrupted Gnome and switch back to KDE?
    ... Then I should try a login to Gnome, ... >> kde command. ... Sunny, thank you for the useful tip, which is another solution. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Switching from KDE to Gnome
    ... What do I do to get 'startx' to go to Gnome? ... Are they happening before you ever login or when you login? ... - Simply switch display managers at login. ... (someone more versed in KDE may be able to help on this, ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)