Re: Blocked Ports

On Mon, 03/19/2012 02:19 AM, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 03/19/2012 05:02 PM, Mike Dwiggins wrote:
This takes a restart from scratch!

My base Network setup was a wired Network which got it's DHCP from a Linksys
Wireless gateway. The WAN connection to the Linksys was through a Fedora 14 Server.

I have two Servers both of which have a Fixed Routeable address from my ISP. I was
working just fine with my below described Firewall setup until I tried to connect a
DirectTV HD DVR via the Network. This is when I found the blocked Port problem as
described below.

The first reply I got asked what system-config-firewall showed, it seemed like a
reasonable question so I ran the program. I looked and the program had nothing
about the ports in question so I closed it!

Immediately thereafter I could get nothing through the Server out to the Internet!
I can ping to the output address of the Linksys but, nothing further from inside
the house. I can access the Internet from the server but not from behind it. It
seems the problem has just gotten worse and I have no idea how.

ip route shows a valid routing from the interior facing port to the exterior facing
port but, nothing seems to pass.

Let me just say that I'm a bit confused. When someone asks about ports and them
being closed it refers to "inbound" connections. But, now you seems you are tying to
make a connection to the internet from behind a F14 system (acting as a firewall?)
and can't connect....for example to http://fedoraproject.org/.

So, is your problem trying to access the internet or the internet trying to access a
server ?

It started as trying to access inbound for the two ports in question. It has now morphed into connecting either way on anything. I am about to the point that I am going to start saving website and Apache configs and rebuild the darn server!

Mike D.

--
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both
be wrong. -- Dandemis