Re: activate a service?

On 04/25/2012 10:06 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:33 PM, Mike Wright <mike.wright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

Just installed f16.

I've seen this answered before but I can't find it anywhere.

After installing tigervnc-server

/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service arrived.

None of the old chkconfig/service stuff seems to works anymore.

Shortcut: how do I turn this on?

Best answer: where are the docs?
At the top of /lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service. ;-)

# The vncserver service unit file
#
# Quick HowTo:
# 1. Copy this file to /etc/systemd/system/vncserver@:<display>.service
# 2. Edit <USER> and vncserver parameters appropriately
# ("runuser -l <USER> -c /usr/bin/vncserver %i -arg1 -arg2")
# 3. Run `systemctl daemon-reload`
#
# DO NOT RUN THIS SERVICE if your local area network is
# untrusted! For a secure way of using VNC, you should
# limit connections to the local host and then tunnel from
# the machine you want to view VNC on (host A) to the machine
# whose VNC output you want to view (host B)
#
# [user@hostA ~]$ ssh -v -C -L 590N:localhost:590M hostB
#
# this will open a connection on port 590N of your hostA to hostB's port 590M
# (in fact, it ssh-connects to hostB and then connects to localhost (on hostB).
# See the ssh man page for details on port forwarding)
#
# You can then point a VNC client on hostA at vncdisplay N of localhost and with
# the help of ssh, you end up seeing what hostB makes available on port 590M
#
# Use "-nolisten tcp" to prevent X connections to your VNC server via TCP.
#
# Use "-localhost" to prevent remote VNC clients connecting except when
# doing so through a secure tunnel. See the "-via" option in the
# `man vncviewer' manual page.

-T.C.

It looks like it should say "Where 'M' is the remote vnc display number,
and 'N' is where you would like the local vnc display to appear on your
local system."

Or something along those lines.

-Scott

  • RE: VNC logging
    ... > This with catch VNC connections on any port. ... >>As for logging, you could run snort on the box, ...
    (Focus-Microsoft)
  • How did they get past my NAT?
    ... kicked in on my VNC server - my desktop background image disappeared ... this point I panicked and shutdown the VNC service ASAP. ... My question is how the attacker got to my VNC port! ... the internet through the router. ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: How did they get past my NAT?
    ... so to my limited knowledge the VNC service should not be ... the exception of those ports that you have selected for port forwarding. ... client connections are opened by the uTorrent client (very frequently, ... for connections to this port on all local interfaces"), ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: VNC behind ISA Server
    ... On what ports VNC uses, please read the following information from VPN ... A VNC server listens on two ports. ... The exact port numbers depend on the VNC ... Microsoft can make no representation concerning ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs)
  • Re: activate a service?
    ... Just installed f16. ... For a secure way of using VNC, ... # this will open a connection on port 590N of your hostA to hostB's port 590M ... # Use "-nolisten tcp" to prevent X connections to your VNC server via TCP. ...
    (Fedora)