Re: upgrading to fc16 video or gtk3 problem?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:55 PM, JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 11:51 -0600, JD wrote:
After upgrading from fc14 to fc16 using DVD iso,
I booted up after the upgrade, and tried to log in
on the gnome welcome screen.
Well, I got the blue screen but my desktop never
came up and a banner popped up
Oooops - something went wrong ... logout and try again.

I was never able to go beyond that no matter how many
times I retried.

Then I performed the updates.
After the updates, I rebooted.

Now I get no gnome welcome screen.
The screen stays blank, and the
disk activity light on the computer remains on,
until I press the Return key. After that the
disk activity light goes out, and screen remains blank.

PS: my graphics chip is the legacy Radeon Mobility 9600/M10

I tried to switch to any one of the vty's
(Control-Alt F2 or F3 or F4) to no avail. Nothing happens.

Any ideas what to look at and fix in single user mode?

Thanx,

JD

My prejudice would not to upgrade but to install F16 as a new
installation. There so many differences between F14 and F16 that I would
not trust an automatic upgrade to work.
But on the other hand some people do this and it works.

I will try one more solution suggested on the web, and failing that,
I think I will do a fresh install, and then install all the missing rpms
that I had on fc14 (assuming they have been ported to fc16.)

OK, I tried the solution suggested on the web, and did not work.
So, I did a clean install (not upgrade) and that went perfectly well
as far as installation.
BUT, logging in from the gdm greeting menu just hangs after
entering the password and clicking log in.
It just hangs there and nothing happens.

Logging in as root on vty2, I see that the user jd has one process
which is executing some program with the argument login
Sorry, I do not recall what the program was and cannot look it up
as the fedora installation machine is not accessible to me right now.

  • Re: XP & IE hang
    ... download and install the User Profile Hive Cleanup Service. ... MS-MVP Windows Shell/User ... The XP Upgrade Advisor recommended that I uninstall IBM Mouse software, ... The hangs are unbearable ...
  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Requesting some leniency on your piracy protection program ple
    ... If Windows is retail, not at all. ... You can reinstall, upgrade, move to a different computer all you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. ... The things I do not get, is not being able to> install the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 10.6.7 Just works
    ... If you have the install disc just pop it in and do a reinstall. ... The recent upgrade to 10.6.7 brings a lot of problems with third part ... I have tried switching System Language, and even restarting the mac. ... Did anyone else run into a slow restart after the 10.6.7 update ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Increasing Debians Adoptability [Was: Skipping releases on dist-upgrades]
    ... deal) decision that I will back up and then install new. ... distro upgrade. ... volunteer Debian mirrors and such.. ... Teach everyone you can grab how to partition, how to use micromedia, ...
    (Debian-User)