gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)

Hi All,
Without dissing or criticizing gnome3, I must say
I have nothing but problems with using it.
For example, selecting the Gnome, or the Classic Gnome
desktop manager, I can no longer see the desktop in other
workspaces that I created, except workspace 1.
Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace)
does not cut it for me...
Starting apps always start in workspace 1, even though
I select the app from Applications drop down menu in
some other workspace.
I am unable to change the position of the Applications
toolbar to the left vertical position, and the currently
running apps toolbar to the right vertical position.
I am unable to create new gnome launch icons on the
desktop (or at least, I have not figured out how). Right click
on desktop has no effect.
I am unable to add new icons of apps to the menu bar for quick launch.

And finally, on my HW (AMD Athlon64 3200+)) platform,
the response time with F16 is so horribly slow, that F14 practically
appeared to respond like lightning - albeit I have had much
faster response time on older Fedora releases (such as F7 and F8),
on this same HW.

In short, I think I will have to dump F16, and switch back to
F14 or switch to a completely different distro that has not switched to gnome3.

Thanx for all the good and the bad times :)

Cheers,

JD

  • Re: gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)
    ... For example, selecting the Gnome, or the Classic Gnome ... Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace) ... Starting apps always start in workspace 1, ... The most surprising thing of all is that the upgrade was carried ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)
    ... For example, selecting the Gnome, or the Classic Gnome ... Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace) ... Starting apps always start in workspace 1, ... The most surprising thing of all is that the upgrade was carried out on an old IBM ThinkPad T42 with 1GB of RAM & in fallback it's flying along & I see none of the problems you're describing. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)
    ... Without dissing or criticizing gnome3, ... For example, selecting the Gnome, or the Classic Gnome ... Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace) ... Starting apps always start in workspace 1, ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: gnome3 - nothing but problems (for me)
    ... Viewing the desktop in a window (as compared on the workspace) ... Starting apps always start in workspace 1, ... As an update to my post, I found that xfce is much more like Gnome2, albeit ... the apps launch bar should be located. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Breezy Badger - Ubuntu Kubuntu mix
    ... in the menues in Gnome I now have lots of KDE-applications, ... KDE, but use apps from the other. ... Or Ubuntu and Kubuntu as such different entities. ...
    (Ubuntu)