Re: Upgrade F15->F16 Dell Inspiron 600m from DVD: no dialog box - Fresh Installation or Upgrade

Max Pyziur writes:

Greetings,

Hoping to at least be on the trailing edge, I've started an upgrade process on my Dell Laptop Inspiron 600m.

It is currently running F15, and I'd like to upgrade to F16.

However, after going through the usual preliminaries (select time, keyboard, language), then Basic Storage devices,
hostname, root password, I'm given a choice to:
Use All Space
Replace Existing Linux
Shrink Current System
Use Free Space
Create Custom Layout

As I dimly recall the installer's UI, the next step after the basic storage device drivers get loaded is the prompt to upgrade the existing system, if one is found, or a new install.

If you're getting to the point where it's asking you for hostname and the root password, you've taken the wrong fork in the road. Those won't be prompted for, when taking the upgrade path.

The prompt to upgrade or install can be confusing. Rerun the installer, and take it slowly, taking note of every option on the screen that you see, and don't take the obvious one, without considering everything else that's on there.

  • Re: Web vs. Desktop based systems
    ... provider with better privacy policy (perhaps Yahoo) also provides ... to other folder or reporting spam or changing the filter recipes. ... But how do you *really* know the important upgrade that keeps ... The alert-window doesn't exactly say *why* you need to install this ...
    (comp.programming)
  • Re: Requesting some leniency on your piracy protection program ple
    ... If Windows is retail, not at all. ... You can reinstall, upgrade, move to a different computer all you want as long as it is only installed on one computer at a time. ... The things I do not get, is not being able to> install the same ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • Re: 10.6.7 Just works
    ... If you have the install disc just pop it in and do a reinstall. ... The recent upgrade to 10.6.7 brings a lot of problems with third part ... I have tried switching System Language, and even restarting the mac. ... Did anyone else run into a slow restart after the 10.6.7 update ...
    (comp.sys.mac.advocacy)
  • Re: Versions and Updates
    ... SuSE won't upgrade it via YOU for you. ... The same goes for KDE, Gnome, or any ... Gnome packages on their website. ... You're required to install lua from another website: ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: upgrading xp to vista premium question
    ... prior to using an upgrade install of Vista. ... install of Vista Home Premium full retail version was to my main MCE2005 ... built and did a clean install and love it. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.mediacenter)