Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions

I hope Slashdot has it wrong, although the presented documents seem to agree

http://linux.slashdot.org/story/12/05/31/190217/red-hat-will-pay-microsoft-to-get-past-uefi-restrictions

Looking up the article: "Implementing UEFI Secure Boot in Fedora" at
http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/12368.html

"The last option wasn't hugely attractive, but is probably the least worst.
Microsoft will be offering signing services through their sysdev
portal<http://sysdev.microsoft.com>.
It's not entirely free (there's a one-off $99 fee to gain access), but it's
cheaper than any realistic alternative would have been. It ensures
compatibility with as wide a range of hardware as possible and it avoids
Fedora having any special privileges over other Linux distributions. If
there are better options then we haven't found them. So, in all
probability, this is the approach we'll take. Our first stage bootloader
will be signed with a Microsoft key."

If I have to pay $99 to Microsoft in order to install my Free/Open
Operating System, then I am making Microsoft $99 richer off the effort of
multiple volunteers that made Linux and Fedora possible and my "Free"
Operating System now effectively costs $99. And if this catches up, then
breaking the Secure Boot will eventually be a DMCA violation and we'd have
to be asking the Copyright office every three years for the "right" to
jailbreak/root our own computers again.

I'd rather go back to the times of Compatibility lists of motherboards than
enable the above state of affairs. I say NO to Danegeld for Microsoft.
--
------------------------------
/\_/\
|O O| pepebuho@xxxxxxxxx
~~~~ Javier Perez
~~~~ While the night runs
~~~~ toward the day...
m m Pepebuho watches
from his high perch.

  • Re: Red Hat Will Pay Microsoft To Get Past UEFI Restrictions
    ... Secure boot is way more intrusive than that for these people *and more*, so that precedent is quite reassuring. ... Everybody can disable it if they don't want it already, but personally I think the technology is nice to have if done right, so it's worth showing the need for alternatives to Microsoft. ... Niche distributions won't need it, their users will happily install new keys, just as any serious Fedora user will. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: UEFI bootkit
    ... off secure boot or you could use your own keys signed by Microsoft. ... It's not EFI which is the problem, it's the "secure boot". ... You can boot Fedora 18 with EFI and secure boot turned on, ...
    (Fedora)
  • X-server reinstall
    ... Why most run Microsoft, ... "X" has been a problem over the years, especially with RH, as it lacks the install ... Fedora does base everything on the graphical environment, and then it is even more IMPORTANT to have a user friendly -reinstall X option. ... Check outnew cars at Yahoo! ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Fedora 18 and UEFI
    ... the ability to disable secure boot is mandated by ... Also Fedora will provide the tools that the project itself ... On ARM systems that follow the MS specification, ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: stock f20 bootloader not signed
    ... IRC Nick: madhurjyaroy ... As I understand it Fedora paid Microsoft to register their key so Secure Boot does indeed work with Fedora. ... most of the laptops that come preinstalled with Windows 8/8.1 come with secure boot. ...
    (Fedora)