Production server running from USB stilck with /var on HD ? - finished email!

People,

Sorry, I accidentally sent the previous note before it was finished . .:

I have been using RH and Fedora since the beginning and love it! I like to keep up with the latest version of Fedora on my production server and although the install of the OS itself from a LiveCD/USB is very fast, restoring all the other stuff (web sites, mailing lists etc) takes quite a while. To reduce downtime of the server, what I did last time was to install to a virtual machine which used a physical HD and then to reboot the real server on the new HD when it was ready to go. Now I am thinking of installing to a USB stick on a workstation, getting it all working and then moving the USB stick to the server but having all the changeable files on /var (or anywhwere else) symlinked to a dir on the server HD for speed. What are the potential problems with this idea? I can see:

- slower bootup

- less reliable media for critical files

Are there other reasons why this approach might not be a good idea?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Newby Problem
    ... I have installed Fedora core 4 on one of my machines and all seems well ... Even though they all install and work fine it is a real ... files at my file server, ... > Yes, when I copy it on my PC, it opens properly ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: OT: Whats the deal with Ubuntu?
    ... distribution of core apps for a given app/service would probably be useful. ... -project management server ... Fedora isnt Ubuntu or viceversa though these two ... farms where the drives are cloned, or at least it's a network install ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 266
    ... Re: OT: Setting up a forwarding mail domain in DMZ without ... Re: Sound Problem ... downloaded the yum.conf for fedora from Redhat's website. ... Server: Fedora.us Extras ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Kernel-devel
    ... the server was setup with Fedora 13. ... With fedora 13 I couldn't install gcc either. ... May be the guys that let me the other server, installed a new kernel. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Fedora - My impressions
    ... First off, I only run a home server with no GUI, Apache (a lot of PHP ... at Suse, hard to get your hands on a copy and is a lot like Redhat, so way. ... there is no difference from RH8 to Fedora. ... I went thru all my install steps from doc that I made since I install ...
    (linux.redhat)