Production server running from USB stilck with /var on HD ? - finished email!

People,

Sorry, I accidentally sent the previous note before it was finished . .:

I have been using RH and Fedora since the beginning and love it! I like to keep up with the latest version of Fedora on my production server and although the install of the OS itself from a LiveCD/USB is very fast, restoring all the other stuff (web sites, mailing lists etc) takes quite a while. To reduce downtime of the server, what I did last time was to install to a virtual machine which used a physical HD and then to reboot the real server on the new HD when it was ready to go. Now I am thinking of installing to a USB stick on a workstation, getting it all working and then moving the USB stick to the server but having all the changeable files on /var (or anywhwere else) symlinked to a dir on the server HD for speed. What are the potential problems with this idea? I can see:

- slower bootup

- less reliable media for critical files

Are there other reasons why this approach might not be a good idea?

Thanks,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades

GPO Box 3411
Sydney NSW 2001
Australia
E-mail: phil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Newby Problem
    ... I have installed Fedora core 4 on one of my machines and all seems well ... Even though they all install and work fine it is a real ... files at my file server, ... > Yes, when I copy it on my PC, it opens properly ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: OT: Whats the deal with Ubuntu?
    ... distribution of core apps for a given app/service would probably be useful. ... -project management server ... Fedora isnt Ubuntu or viceversa though these two ... farms where the drives are cloned, or at least it's a network install ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: is it the future?
    ... please install one of the BSD's and stop the discussion on this user ... systemd will be removed and sysvinit installed rather ... Scant few, serious medium to large scale business servers, use Fedora ... Reboots aren't that common (certainly not on the server side of things) ...
    (Fedora)
  • RE: fedora-list Digest, Vol 6, Issue 266
    ... Re: OT: Setting up a forwarding mail domain in DMZ without ... Re: Sound Problem ... downloaded the yum.conf for fedora from Redhat's website. ... Server: Fedora.us Extras ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Kernel-devel
    ... the server was setup with Fedora 13. ... With fedora 13 I couldn't install gcc either. ... May be the guys that let me the other server, installed a new kernel. ...
    (Fedora)