Tuesday morning fun (can't get to gdm login prompt)

Happy Tuesday all,

So, an interesting thing happened to me when I came into work this
morning....my computer was sitting at the password prompt to unencrypt my
disk so I could continue booting my machine. Apparently we had a power
outage at work last night.

So, I put in my encrcyption password and continued to watch it boot up. It
went, and went, and went and right when I thought it was going to give me
my login prompt, it...stopped. My mouse cursur is just a spinning ball of
wait. I'm never given the opportunity to log in, it's just a black screen
with my spinning cursor.

I've tried each of the different kernels on my computer, all PAE --
3.4.0-1, 3.4.4-3, and 3.4.4-5, and nothing seems to change.

However, I was just able to boot into runlevel 3, log in as myself, and run
'startx' and get in that way. When I do it, though, it runs *very*
sluggish. Gnome-shell, with nothing but an xterm, is running ~65% cpu and
my load average is running at 2.16.

I can't find anything that might have been updated that would explain the
issue. I have 3 machines all running Fedora 17, one of which I know is
completely up to date as my work computer is, and I don't see the issue on
it (had a power outage at the house this morning, so I had to reboot the
one at home as well).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated, thanks!

Brian

  • Is this grub.conf file correct?
    ... I am wondering if the problem depends on wrong boot options in grub.conf ... There is only one SATA hard disk. ... During the install I left partitions as ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Locked out of windows XP Proffesional
    ... > I am locked out at boot up, I tried the ctrl-alt del twice and then ... hitting enter at the prompt for password. ... overide or change the password prompt at startup? ...
  • Internet connectivity before XP password prompt?
    ... If there is a power outage, I have the BIOS set to start the computer when power is restored. ... When it reboots, either after a power outage or a forced reboot, it stops at the password prompt before ... it loads Internet conectivity, which means that I can't access it remotely. ... Is there any way to get it to load Internet connectivity BEFORE the password prompt? ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsxp.general)
  • removing user logon prompt?
    ... After setting up a password for the pc, I changed my mind and want the pc to ... boot up without showing the password prompt. ...