How to debug high system load?

Hi,

I have a ThinkPad (Core i7, 2.67GHz) with F17 and I'm seeing high system
loads persistently. Right from boot up I see loads of 1, and often it
goes up to 2 or more.

Things I have looked at:
1. I'm using Xfce, so the desktop environment is also light.
2. I looked at the output of `systemctl list-units' and don't see any
unnecessary services enabled.
3. top only says currently Xorg is the most active process with 1% CPU
activity. From the activity summary of atop since boot, I see it's
Xorg with 3% CPU usage. And while idling all my 4 logical cores are
throttled down and are at about 1%.

So my question is since CPU usage is already so low, what could be
driving up the system load? This is bugging me since I also see a
general sluggishness compared to a much faster system early this year.

Thanks for any ideas.

--
Suvayu

  • Re: How to debug high system load?
    ... From the activity summary of atop since boot, ... > Xorg with 3% CPU usage. ... And while idling all my 4 logical cores are ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: How to debug high system load?
    ... From the activity summary of atop since boot, ... Xorg with 3% CPU usage. ... So my question is since CPU usage is already so low, ... I haven't seen any issues with load. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Boot image on FlashDisk
    ... You'll also have to edit the autoexec.bat file to launch loadcepc ... Your bootloader loads the image into RAM, ... can't boot WINCE. ... Have you got a BSP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: Boot image on FlashDisk
    ... You'll also have to edit the autoexec.bat file to launch loadcepc ... Your bootloader loads the image into RAM, ... can't boot WINCE. ... Have you got a BSP ...
    (microsoft.public.windowsce.embedded)
  • Re: A3000 Bot Errors and Retina Z2 Compatibility
    ... load some bootroms on to help a brother out. ... I have the original A3000 HD in, it loads the ROMs then Gurus. ... But due to whatever problems that HD would not boot to the workbench. ... Beta driver for it. ...
    (comp.sys.amiga.hardware)