Re: [Usability] Save Icon

Em Ter, 2006-01-31 às 00:33 +0000, Iain * escreveu:
> On 1/30/06, Evandro Fernandes Giovanini <efgiovanini@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > What they're saying is that they're supporting the more inefficiant way
> > of doing an action because it's "popular". As a result most new users
> > will not even learn the more efficiant ways and they'll be less
> > productive using the software.
>
> So, what you're saying is that people should be forced into using the
> software differently to how they want to? Maybe people don't want to
> be as productive as they can with software.

No, what I'm saying is that doing the wrong thing because someone (in
this case, Microsoft) made it popular is not a good idea.

> There was a study done that showed that people don't work to their
> maximum capacity, because then they'll be expected to always perform
> to that level. "Enforced something" it was called, but I forget what
> the something was.

Sounds interesting. However, let me give an example: Internet Explorer
has a "Go" button next to the URL bar. It turns out some people will
actually move their hands to the mouse after typing an URL, then point
and click at the button (instead of just hitting 'Enter'). You could say
the "Go" button makes people less productive, but in better words it
just makes their computer experience worse and more tiring. The problem
is that grandmas don't realize that, and they'll do what the interface
is leading them to do.

(FWIW, it seems Microsoft removed "Go" the button from Internet Explorer
7).

Cheers,
Evandro

  • Re: cannot open links in my e-mail or help section in windows Live
    ... Mail still is saying "application not found" when trying to click on a link ... and I have followed all adivce on setting the defaults for Internet Explorer ... For about a week I haven't been able to open links to websites that ... Some links work - the majority do not. ...
    (microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail)
  • Re: File Download errors
    ... >Are you saying that this is not the issue? ... >Edit, and check ... >> when they click on the link they get the File Download ... Internet Explorer was not able to open ...
  • Re: ZoneAlarmPro crashes with a GPF on startup
    ... > As soon as I start Internet Explorer, a ZAP popup comes up saying that ... > Has anyone else experienced this and managed to fix it? ...
    (comp.security.firewalls)
  • Re: To Anyone who has Internet Explorer Installed or any other browser (Everybody)
    ... "The StartPage program is a Zip-archive that contains two files - one HTML ... launched and proceeds to exploit the Internet Explorer security system ... vulnerability known as "Exploit.SelfExecHtml". ... If that's the case, than saying this ...
    (comp.security.misc)