Novell Start menu [was Re: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP]

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Maxwell Bowerman wrote:

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:40:04 +1100
From: Maxwell Bowerman <Maxwell.Bowerman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'usability@xxxxxxxxx'" <usability@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP

Guys,

I have a few ideas for GNOME that I would like to share with you,
particularly in regard to the area of DTP that is an emerging area for our
desktop.

Firstly though, a negative. I wish to lobby strongly against the Windows
XP-style start menu proposed by Novell:

http://www.osnews.com/permalink.php?news_id=13589&comment_id=93581

This appears to be a definite step backwards for us. The current system is
much better. Do other people share this sentiment?

Yes and no. I have my reservations and since I find Windows XP rather
annoying I wouldn't choose that menu layout for myself (I use the
"Classic" style of start menu when I use windows, I always change it back
if at all possible). However it will benefit some users to be able to
configure Gnome in a way that more closely resembles what they are used
to, it is good to give users what they want. This menu applet is just
another applet to choose from and is highly unlikely to become the Gnome
default. There is really very little to talk about on this topic, and if
I recall correctly the topic was beaten out on the desktop-devel list when
Novell released their work.

I'll address the questions about Desktop Publishing in another mail, I
want to keep these topics seperate.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com
Open Clip Art http://OpenClipArt.org

  • Re: [Usability] "Finish" vs. "Close" in gnome-control-center dialogs
    ... [Usability] "Finish" vs. "Close" in gnome-control-center ... recall correctly the desire to push on with Cairo developement meant Gnome ... How consistent can Gnome ever be if it is not something developers ... In this case I was referring to only to the label Finish specifically, ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: [Usability] Programmer needed for minimal and basic design for GNOME HIG experiment
    ... [Usability] Programmer needed for minimal and basic design ... for GNOME HIG experiment ... some empirical research that will provide a real base to the GNOME ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: [Usability] Usability?
    ... The GNOME Usability Project, and the GNOME HIG that it produces, are resources that can be called upon to help to guide that judgement. ... This list is another, although there aren't as many usability practitioners or researchers regularly contributing here as there used to be, so discussions can sometimes tail off without any informed resolution, which is unfortunate. ... The usability study videos and reports at http://betterdesktop.org are another great resource, as are the other occasional GNOME usability studies run by Sun and others. ... In GNOME, what mostly happens is that a bug is filed, there's a bit of discussion, and a consensus is reached about how to fix it. ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: [Usability] GNOME need a big usability update
    ... [Usability] GNOME need a big usability update ... patches and are relying on the goodwill of developers to make your ... Windows, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, WindowMaker, ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: Laptop tuning
    ... She looking for usability and "look". ... There are many tuning options for GNOME, most of them aimed to provide ... I would update those Debian versions as soon as possible (that is ... To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ...
    (Debian-User)