Startup process hungs and does timeout ... and after it works

Hi!

When authenticating (gdm) it hungs (about 3 minutes and half) and
finally gnome starts but without themes and showing a message like this
(it's translated from Catalan, sorry):

"An error has happened when starting up the GNOME Settings Daemon.
Some things, like the themes, the sound or background configuration
could not work properly.
The las error message was:
Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not
send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply time
out expired, or the network connection was broken.
Gnome still will try to start upt he configuration daemon next start-up's.

Once I have entered I can change the theme, for example.

But what is really SURPRISING is that if I try to enter Gnome having
disabled networking (/etc/init.d/networking stop) then I can access
without any problem and it works fine. Then I can enable networkig and
my system works fine.

This looks like some issue with "dbus", maybe, ... does anybody know
have any idea?

It it helps and gives clues to find the problem, it's a successful
Ubuntu 6.10 installation on a computer where it works fine. To re-use
the installation on other identical equipments I have divided the data
on the original filesystem ("/"), extracting /var, /tmp, /opt and /home
to their on filesystem. When restoring I find the explained problem.
Mount options of the new filesystem are the same that where on the
original "/" : "defaults". Maybe it has been the dump/restore which
couldn't copy some special files like sockets, ...? I want to tell
again the fact that once I've logged on every thing works.

Can anybody help me, please? Thanks in advance!

  • Strange problem - install network card ==> boot to text-mode only
    ... I struggled getting RH Linux 7.3 installed an older PC last night. ... package installation kept getting hung at seemingly random packages. ... re-inserted the network card, and booted. ... Gnome, it took me to the text only login. ...
    (linux.redhat)
  • Re: KDE 2 for Ubuntu
    ... I'm finding the network performance of gnome terminal, and KDE konsole ... Gnome have just too much bloat for me. ...
    (uk.comp.os.linux)
  • Re: Very slow network - Ubuntu
    ... Do I understand correctly that you boot stright to gnome, ... download and get poor network components but if you do a gnome network ... I installed and configured some servers for a small business that wanted gui's on their servers so network manager was installed by default. ... It was pointed to one of the two gateways, but when I started the server after installation it kept insisting on using the other gateway and obtaining an address via dhcp, even though I had given the one interface I configured a static address. ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: F18: FYI "Connection Failed" message box appearing but Ethernet okay.
    ... Today I am getting a black message box at the bottom of the Gnome Window ... Window saying "Connection Failed: " ... getting any Network Connection warning box anymore. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: personal file share fc6 not working
    ... pfs on and in the Gnome network folder on both the FC6 ... machine I can open the folder, but on the FC6 machine ... As usual gnome provides no obvious way to find out why; ...
    (Fedora)