Re: Totem

Hello Todd,

Thank you very much for the information and the link.

I should be OK now.

Regards,

Graeme.

On 19/06/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Graeme Nichols wrote:
> I am running FC6 and for the first time since I was running RH6 I
> want to play videos and audio files.

How do you survive without audio? :)

> My experience with sound and linux has been very negative so I have
> never bothered and consequently I have no knowledge of the subject.

It's not so bad. Patents and other proprietary things make it more
difficult than it should be though.

> In FC6 Totem seems to be a front end for gstreamer and all the necessary
> gstreamer bits and pieces have been installed.
>
> Can someone please tell me which video and audio formats that Totem can
> play?

That depends entirely on what gstreamer plugins you have installed.
By default, Fedora doesn't come with any plugins that have patent or
license issues (e.g. mp3, wmv, etc)

> Which video and audio formats it cannot play and if there are
> plugins available that will enable Totem to play them?
>
> Two that I have discovered it cannot play are mp3 and wmv saying
> that possibly a plugin is needed.
>
> I cannot find any information on plugins, how to obtain them, how to
> install them etc. anywhere.

Google turns up numerous links when searching for fedora totem mp3.
Here's one that seems reasonable:

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?s=b2db943185e286a3a3e7be489bd651cb&t=100206&highlight=totem+mp3

HTH,

Kind Regards,

Graeme. _______________________________________________

  • Re: Usual "forbidden items" explanation
    ... it still doesn't make sense about why it can't play some unencumbered file types that other things already can. ... I've yet to find a file that Totem will actually play. ... player for filetypes that it obviously couldn't play, ... However, looking at yumex now, I don't see any plugins at all, except ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Totem
    ... I am unsure if this is the correct place to ask questions on Totem. ... to play videos and audio files. ... Can someone please tell me which video and audio formats that Totem ... Which video and audio formats it cannot play and if there are plugins ...
    (GNOME)
  • Totem
    ... I am unsure if this is the correct place to ask questions on Totem. ... I am running FC6 and for the first time since I was running RH6 I want to ... play videos and audio files. ... I cannot find any information on plugins, how to obtain them, how to install ...
    (GNOME)
  • Re: Usual "forbidden items" explanation
    ... both FC4 and FC5, every time I clicked on anything multimedia, Totem would pop up, try to play the file, fail miserably, then complain it didn't have the right plugins. ... AFAICT the *mysterious* plugins are simply not available. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Totem=noshow
    ... What can I replace totem with that will work? ... I'm plumb out of patience with its I can't play this messages that do ... and firefox simply went away. ... This install included quicktime, ...
    (Fedora)