Amanda README Draft; Request for comments

Per Dustin's request, I did a bit of hacking on the readme. My draft is
attached. I culled the release notes and NEWS file. I'd appreciate
comments and corrections back by the end of the business day Monday.

A few questions:

The current example of a fast dump involves filling 2 GB tapes in four
hours. Has anyone got a more modern example? As I don't use tapes I
can't provide one. (Several might be nice for the success stories page,
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/Amanda_success_stories.)

The copyright notice is U of M through 1998. How are subsequent
contributions licensed? I conjecture under the same terms, but as this
is a legal question I thought I should ask.

I don't see the files KERBEROS.HOW-TO-GET or docs/KERBEROS in trunk.
Reference to them should probably go away.

Also, I note that the README refers to two files which no longer exist,
COPYRIGHT-REGEX and COPYRIGHT-APACHE. Unless there is good reason not
to, I think I should remove the reference to them. Again, as this deals
with copyrights, I thought I should ask.

Finally, we can probably update the list of known compatible systems.
Additions and deletions, particularly of version numbers, are welcome.
For example, I suspect we can reasonably restrict Linux to version 2.6
kernels.

AIX 3.2 and 4.1
BSDI BSD/OS 2.1 and 3.1
DEC OSF/1 3.2 and 4.0
FreeBSD 2.2.5
IRIX 5.2 and 6.3
GNU/Linux on x86, m68k, alpha, sparc, arm and powerpc
Mac OS X 10
NetBSD 1.0
Nextstep 3 (*)
OpenBSD 2.5 x86, sparc, etc (ports available)
SunOS 4.1.x (x >= 1) and 5.[567]
Ultrix 4.2
HP-UX 9.x and 10.x (x >= 01)

Thank you.

--

Charles Curley /"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Looking for fine software \ / Respect for open standards

Key fingerprint = CE5C 6645 A45A 64E4 94C0 809C FFF6 4C48 4ECD DFDB

  • Re: OT: Sparc not dead yet
    ... Sparc competes against power and 8086. ... AMD and Intel *covet* the top end. ... Intel & x86 upward like noone else ever has. ... when did Intel decide to again push ahead with x86? ...
    (comp.os.vms)
  • Re: checksums of S10 u 2 - what is md5sum.list ?
    ... I surfed to the sparc CD page, and the SPARC md5sum.list file/page is ... Note it is asking me to complete a survey and say how many SPARC and x86 systems I have. ... Dear Solaris software customer: To receive a valid Solaris Operating System license, ... Reference the;>Free Solaris Binary License Program websitefor licensing terms and conditions related to this program. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: Popularity of the current Solaris releases
    ... OpenSolaris on SPARC processors ... OpenSolaris on x86 processors. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: [opensuse] Why are there not more using Linux?
    ... Dude Sun and Sarc are going no where any time soon... ... Sun is going to abandon the SPARC soon. ... As much as I despise the Intel x86 with its architecture ... Intel and AMD won the CPU wars. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: OT: Sparc not dead yet
    ... Sun is bleeding to death today and SPARC engineering ... SPARC division will probably be sold. ... You're assuming I guess that IBM with Power, Sun and Fujitso with Sparc, and anyone else not using x86 is a dry well? ... redirect evolution. ...
    (comp.os.vms)