Re: How can I create a filetype association that uses the filename's extension?

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 22:31 +0100, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
Dear List,

I have several kinds of files that Gnome detects as "plain text
documents": some with the extension .py, some with .txt, some with
.mht . . . you get the picture. The .py files I'd like to open with
gVim, the .txt files in SciTE, the .mht files with Opera, et cetera.
However, when I try to change the "Open WIth" of any of these file
types [1], it changes for all plain text files. The behaviour I desire
is that I can associate different programs to files with different

Is it possible to persuade Gnome to treat files with the same MIME
type but different filename extensions separately?
If yes, how?

It should, by default. The definitions for these are provided by
the package shared-mime-info. Do you have that package installed?

It sounds like GNOME wasn't installed quite correctly on your
machine. What distribution are you using?

gnome-list mailing list

Relevant Pages