Re: Equivalent of MS DOS "start" command.

os.system?

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondcole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In gnome, I can click on a file and the correct application to open it will
be started.
In Windows, I can get the same functionality from the command line by
typing "start (somefilename)"
I can't seen to find an equivalent feature in Linux, so am beginning to
suspect that it is gnome matching up the file with its application.
If I were to start writing such a utility, where would I find sample code
how the GUI does it? Or is there already a POSIX command and I've never run
across it?
(What I'm actually trying to do is implement Python "os.startfile" on
Linux.)
--
Vernon Cole
(sent from my 'droid phone)