Re: Equivalent of MS DOS "start" command.

os.system?

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Vernon Cole <vernondcole@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

In gnome, I can click on a file and the correct application to open it will
be started.
In Windows, I can get the same functionality from the command line by
typing "start (somefilename)"
I can't seen to find an equivalent feature in Linux, so am beginning to
suspect that it is gnome matching up the file with its application.
If I were to start writing such a utility, where would I find sample code
how the GUI does it? Or is there already a POSIX command and I've never run
across it?
(What I'm actually trying to do is implement Python "os.startfile" on
Linux.)
--
Vernon Cole
(sent from my 'droid phone)

  • Re: basic operations
    ... > Ive recently left the dark and moved into linux, i just have this one query ... > In windows all programs were installed into a folder called 'Program ... which will tell you where the command is. ... A list of the commands built into the shell can be gotten by typing ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: Chown ???
    ... What command would I use ?? ... [also, as a note to your typing, 'SU' should be 'su'.] ... help microsoft stamp out piracy - give linux to a friend today ... to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it. ...
    (Fedora)
  • Re: What is seen in Local Network ? (newbie)
    ... Yeah, that makes sense. ... The command line is the front line. ... Linux 2.4.20-4GB-athlon ...
    (alt.os.linux.suse)
  • Re: automatic complete command
    ... > command you recently executed in your history, and i guess after typing ... linux will know which command you meant. ... > key it was (it doesn't work with the Tab key actually). ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)
  • Re: Re: 1/2 dozenth request over 3-years
    ... Pure Linux command line login, ... available one and it's modem. ... assortment of 16 terminals and old XT's to hook those in. ...
    (Ubuntu)