Re: [GNOME3] Gain vertical space

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 06:25, Frederic Muller <fredm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 05/04/2011 12:55 PM, Magnus Therning wrote:

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 11:53:07AM +0800, Frederic Muller wrote:

Hi!

It's all css and easily changeable. There is a blog post here that
goes through some of the customization (which works without
installing any extension):
http://blog.fpmurphy.com/2011/03/customizing-the-gnome-3-shell.html

namely this part:

"As stated previously, the default GNOME Shell theme is Adwaita. You
can modify this theme by editing
/usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml. One of
the more interesting sections of this configuration file is:

You are suggesting to modify a system file, is there any way to do
this per-user instead?

/M

I am not suggesting to modify a system file, I'm quoting a small section out
of a long blog post (and therefore out of context).

I am just pointing out where the info is available, sorry for not spoon
feeding, but it's not my thing.

I'm far from asking you to spoon feed me. I know nothing about
Gnome3, I've only recently started using it, and so far I've found the
documentation sorely lacking in areas related to configuration and
personalisation. Since you know more than I do, and you provided the
link to the blog post I thought it reasonable to also ask you if
there's a resource available that explains how to do this sort of
personalisation on a per-user basis.

The proper way to do that would be to create a new theme based on the
default one and use that new theme to make the changes. I think (though I do
not know) that themes are per user.

Thank you, that paragraph nicely sums up what I asked for. Seriously,
I could have done without your attitude in the two previous
paragraphs.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx   jabber: magnus@xxxxxxxxxxxx