Re: [kde-linux] KMail 1.9.1 Flaws

On 26 Aug 2006, at 08:48 , Steve Evans wrote:

On Saturday 26 August 2006 15:49, Merton Campbell Crockett wrote:

Steve, Jan, Justion,

I gather from your responses that I may have omitted a key point. I
performed an "in-situ" upgrade from SuSE Linux 10.0 to 10.1. During
the upgrade, .kde/share/config/kmailrc was changed to incorporate new
features.

When I first opened KMail after the upgrade, the folder panel
correctly showed the two IMAP servers that I use: an IMAP account on
my site's local mail server and an IMAP account on a corporate
Microsoft Exchange server. What was missing were all of my mail
folders that were maintained on the local IMAP mail server.

Using the Settings>Configure KMail>Accounts>Modify, I couldn't find
any options that would allow me to set the path to my mail folders
for the account on the local IMAP mail server. Where I recall that
there had been a Advanced button or box where I could set the path,
there were a group of boxes for "name space".

The imap server should know where the mail is stored, you don't
need to
specify a path to it in kmail. For example the config file
(/etc/courier-imap/imapd) for my courier imap server contains:

MAILDIR=.maildir
MAILDIRPATH=.maildir

These are all relative to the users home account, so my mail
appears in
~/.maildir.

kmail then talks to the server to access the email rather than looking
directly at it on disk.

Is your imap server running?

Yes. KMail has no problem with accessing {INBOX} which is stored in /
var/mail/mcc on the IMAP server. The problem is only with my
personal mail folders that are stored in a subdirectory of my
personal account on the server, /userfiles/mcc/Mail.

I know that the location of my personal directory might look a little
strange to some but the directory structure on the system was
established 25 years ago. The original PDP11/45 running BSD 2.4
disappeared long ago. All that remains is the directory structure. :)

Merton Campbell Crockett
m.c.crockett@xxxxxxxxxxxx