Re: [kde] Screen resolution

On 2007/05/09 16:44 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen apparently typed:

On 09/05/07, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 2007/05/09 13:00 (GMT+0300) Dotan Cohen apparently typed:

I just noticed that my Dell Inspiron laptop, which bills it's screen
as 1400x1050,

If Dell says it's 1400x1050, that's probably what it is, and what should be
used by X. What model is it?

Inspiron 6400/ E1505

actually has 1680x050 usable pixels.

How did you make this determination? 1680x1050 is a widescreen format
suitable only for widescreen displays. 1400x1050 is a standard 1.33:1 format
for normal format displays only.

It was billed as widescreen 1400x1050. Until now I never bothered to

My guess is that wherever you saw that was a mistake. The first link I found
that describes it says WSXGA+, which is 1680x1050, but it didn't say that
WSXGA+ is 1680x1050, which is good, because it isn't. 1400x1050 is SXGA+.
1680x1050 is WSXGA+.

calculate the aspect ratio. I found the proper resolution by disabling
the "fit graphics to screen" option in the bios. Further googling has
led me to discover that I'm not the only one to make this discovery.

Note that text has always been blurry, but now that the 1400 pixel
resolution isn't being stretched to 1680, it looks great. I'd like to
get the remaining 280 pixels working, though.

The right approach is to look or ask in an appropriate place. KDE doesn't
make X do things that X has not been configured to do. If you don't either
ask in a general X forum, or in a forum specific to the distro you use, you
may never get a usable answer.

Problems like yours are common topics of discussion on the SUSE and Mandriva
mailing lists which I have seen solved. I just don't have that hardware to
test with and thus no specifics to offer on what to change in xorg.conf.
--
"The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn, shining
ever brighter till the full light of day." Proverbs 4:18 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409