Re: [kde-linux] Want display lit 7/24. how?

jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
openSuSE10.2
Linux2.6.18.2-default i686
KDE 35.5"release45"

We have some SuSE 10.2 boxes
we want the display up 7/24.

Deactivating the screen saver
does not help, nor does anything
we can find in yast.

xset s off
xset -dpms

Will do what we need,
but they do not survive reboot,
and they do confusing things when
we use x11vnc.

If possible we would like to
be able to set the box with
display ALWAYS up including
through reboot and use of x11vnc.
We would like the display
always on unless I became
root and deliberately
changed it. Is this possible?

Another problem is that xset
refuses to work from a remote
box by ssh, even if we have
added the remote box's name
or IP with xhost.

Because our seismic data does
not call for high security,
we do NOT have a firewall on
any box.

Jim Lawson
Oklahoma Geological Survey
Leonard, Oklahoma

Check your xorg.conf file and comment out if needed. Look for something
like this:

Section "ServerFlags"

Option "BlankTime" "5"
Option "StandbyTime" "10"
# Option "SuspendTime" "10"
# Option "OffTime" "10"
EndSection

and this:

Option "DPMS" "TRUE"

I'm not sure that will help but it would be ONE thing to check at
least. You may also want to check setterm. I'm not sure if what you
posted will override it's settings or not.

Hope that helps.

Dale

:-) :-) :-) :-)

--
www.myspace.com/-remove-me-dalek1967

Copy n paste then remove the -remove-me- part.

  • Re: [kde-linux] KDE 4 and monitor powering off.
    ... X error seen when an X app can't find the X display to use. ... terminal window inside of X/KDE itself? ... Try it with X and kde running, as the user the kde session is running as, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: what is the meaning of pollsys
    ... When I do a truss on a certain process this happens: ... In the above example the pollsys is sleeping and this is ... AFAIK the owner of the display and the user who runs the xset are the same for the moment the application is starting. ...
    (comp.unix.solaris)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Want display lit 7/24. how?
    ... we want the display up 7/24. ... xset s off ... refuses to work from a remote ... Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde-linux] Want display lit 7/24. how?
    ... we want the display up 7/24. ... xset s off ... through reboot and use of x11vnc. ... refuses to work from a remote ...
    (KDE)
  • SUMMARY: remote CDE logins
    ... access by any client (e.g. xterm running on what you call your server). ... your "DISPLAY" is what is serving X to the X application ... xhost + will disable access control, so anyone can access your X server. ... Do you want an entire CDE login session from the remote machine ...
    (Tru64-UNIX-Managers)