Re: [kde-linux] KDE-menu: open sub-menus on click only

On Wednesday 08 Aug 2007, Thierry de Coulon wrote:
Hello!

I always hated "start-menus", from the first one I encountered in
OS/2's "smartcenter" to kde or Gnome menus, not even to mention Winblow's.
I use kicker (after removing the taskbar, another silly thing) to start my
programs, displacing the kde-menu to the right as a mean of storage for
stuff I only occasionnaly use.

Each to his own.

So far, so good. Now, at least in the recent versions (3.5.x) that stupid
thing react far too fast (or am I far too slow?), as soon as the pointer is
on a menu point for a few seconds, the menu thinks it should develop. And
some of these menus are so full and big they cover the desktop, so all I
can do is click on what's left free (or press ESC) and start all over
again.

Is there a way to tell: only develop the menu when I click on it? I've
allready tried desellectiong "automaticaly select icons" in the Control
Center", but that wasn't it.

As usually everything is possible with Linux, I hope I just have to find
out how. Or is this a feature I should ask for?

Frankly, it sounds as though your menus need editing. You don't say which
distro you use, and I won't slander one by guessing :-). It's a real
nuisance to try to find the application you need anyway in a menu that is a
screen long, never mind covering the whole screen. Try dividing them into
groups, to make the menus easier to read. This would also have the effect of
you being able to simply move back to the previous layer, so no more Esc :-)

I know it's not the solution you asked for, but it is practical.

HTH

Anne

  • [kde] Questions after 3.5 Upgrade on Fedora
    ... I upgraded my KDE from the distributed Fedora Core 4 version to 3.5 and ... I am having some confusion about setting settings, menus, etc. I'm not ... The User's Guide discusses adding "Special Buttons" to the Kicker by ... When I started up (and when I regenerated the menus) the KDE ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Minor GNOME and KDE menu annoyance
    ... The new menus were tedious and slow to use, ... and the basic installation installs scads of things ... While it's often touted that KDE gives you configurability that Gnome ... I find the Windows menu ...
    (Fedora)
  • [kde] Resolved: Green and Red highlights in the menus
    ... Well I never could figure out why the menus got out of whack. ... the fresh install solved a BUNCH of annoying little problems that have been creeping up over the past year or so. ... Somehow the KDE menus started having green and red highlights. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Rebuilding menus...
    ... I'm not sure what caused it but my KDE menus are kinda' a mess. ... about rebuilding the menus structure? ... I was switching back and forth (and I played with what was on the GNOME ... I have finally committed to KDE, but the menus are all messed up now. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: KDE Menus - How the heck do they work? ...They dont!
    ... >> but in the KDE menu (you know, the thing on the lower left, like ... >> just editing a raw text file to change my menus. ... Other useful commands are: ... updatedb ...
    (comp.os.linux.misc)