Re: [kde] Changing file association for all media files

On Wednesday 28 November 2007, Dotan Cohen wrote:

Thank you Kevin. I don't think that I was very clear in my question,
so I will rephrase it. How do I configure KDE to open every type of
audio file in Amarok?

As it stands now, I must click on MP3, and change it to Amarok, then
WAV and change it to Amarok, then ogg and change it to Amarok, and so
on for 10+ different filetypes. Is there not one fell swoop that will
change ALL the filetypes in Kcontrol -> KDE Components -> File
Association -> Audio to Amarok?

I'll try to explain it a bit differently.
Each application, including Amarok, specifies in its .desktop file (which is
also used to create the K-menu entry) which MIME types (or file types) it can
handle.

It *also* specifies a numeric value called the initial perference, i.e.
something KDE and other desktop environments use to determine which of all
the applications to choose if more than one application says it can handle
the MIME type in question.

As the name indicates ("initial") it can be overridden, e.g. by reordering the
application's in control center. This reordering is saved
in .kde/share/config/profilerc (assuming KDEHOME to be $HOME/.kde/)

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring

  • Re: [kde-linux] Fetch Error on exit
    ... ordered to be able to unmerge it. ... You'd be AMAZED at how much faster kde runs now! ... And Amarok, but this was expected. ... but it should not open as empty folder that explicitly tells ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Re: SOLVED after Horrortrip: amarok plays no more streams
    ... dolphin in KDE 4.5 gets crazy when in a directory containing html-files, ... wow: amarok played again: but KMail couldn't start anymore, ... menu, everything, except the shutdown. ... SO now, fingers crossed, I have a computer that can play music, send ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Re: SOLVED after Horrortrip: amarok plays no more streams
    ... dolphin in KDE 4.5 gets crazy when in a directory containing html-files, ... wow: amarok played again: but KMail couldn't start anymore, ... menu, everything, except the shutdown. ... SO now, fingers crossed, I have a computer that can play music, send ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [kde] Changing file association for all media files
    ... I don't need go through all the formats in Kcontrol -> KDE Components ... Same thing for VLC for ALL video formats. ... and then change the initial preference for Amarok to something high enough. ... audio file in Amarok? ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] The MP4 that ate Amaroki
    ... Thanks for helping me feel glad I'm still using Amarok 1.4. ... at least include *SOME* helpful tidbits, instead of just railing on KDE. ... Alternately, you could try to remove any album art, etc, which may be either ... Archives: http://lists.kde.org/. ...
    (KDE)