Re: [kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, david wrote:

Steve O'Neill wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Andrew Walbran wrote:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 6:42:14 am Sylviane et Perry White wrote:
On Monday 17 December 2007 20:58, Steve O'Neill wrote:
3. All the windows I open seem to want to open up in the lower right
corner. Because I can't move the windows, it's become impossible to use
the Control Center to modify any of the window properties or set up more
than one desktop.
No idea how to bring back the borders on your windows but have you tried
moving them with:
keep left alt key pressed, left click in the window, keep mouse button
pressed and drag.
If that does not work, try opening Konsole and typing 'kwin &'. I suspect that
the KDE window manager has not been started for some reason; that will start
it. If it does not start with that command, the output it gives could be
useful in debugging the problem.

Here's what I get when I do this:

kwin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so: undefined symbol:
_ZNK11NETRootInfo24desktopLayoutOrientationEv

Obviously, kwin _isn't_ running(confirmed by look with 'ps'). I suspect one
of the packages I installed has caused this, but I don't know which one. I've
already found one official PCLinuxOS package that doesn't work because of an
undefined symbol in the program; there may be others. It looks like I'm going
to have to re-install the system and build it back up piece by piece until I
find the package that's causing the problem. Fortunately, I'm not dependent
of this distro for any "real" uses yet, so all this will cost me is a bit of
time. Thanks to everyone for all your help.

My wife's been using that distro on her production laptop ever since it
came out - with no problems whatever. What packages did you find that
had that undefined symbol problem? Might just be a package maintainers
glitch that could be easily fixed.

Well, the first time I had an undefined symbol problem was when I installed
"evince-0.8.0-1". The installation went ok, but, as soon as I ran the
program, I got an "undefined symbol" message and it wouldn't run. It's quite
possible that the problem isn't in 'evince' itself, but in one of the
libraries that's been upgraded by installing other packages. The problem is,
I installed a lot of packages from the repo before before I hit this window
problem, so if this kind of error is all coming from one or a few libraries, I
have no idea how to pin down the source of it at this stage of the game. I
suspcet that your wife hasn't had any problems because of the her selection of
packages. If this is so, then it might only be a matter of time before she
hits the problem as she adds or updates packages. I'd like to be able to pin
the problem down myself; since I have lots of room on my drive, I might just
do a new, 'clean' install of PCLinuxOS in another partition and experiment
with adding packages to see what kind of problems I run into. If I get
anything solid, I post it here.

Steve O'Neill

--
David
gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

  • Re: [kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared
    ... the Control Center to modify any of the window properties or set up more ... of the packages I installed has caused this, but I don't know which one. ... I think we've ADDed maybe two packages since installing it on her ... And updates from the PCLinuxOS repository have been happening ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared
    ... the Control Center to modify any of the window properties or set up more ... of the packages I installed has caused this, but I don't know which one. ... I think we've ADDed maybe two packages since installing it on her ... And updates from the PCLinuxOS repository have been happening ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Window Borders Have Dissapeared
    ... the Control Center to modify any of the window properties or set up more ... of the packages I installed has caused this, but I don't know which one. ... undefined symbol in the program; ... Install VirtualBox and run your ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Feedback wanted for a drag-and-drop install location interface for PackMan
    ... I'm going to have to look at making the whole window ... You mean the "Packages to configure"? ... installation (though that's at odds with my comments about the drag and drop ... Another drag from here would do that - removing it from its original ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)
  • Re: Feedback wanted for a drag-and-drop install location interface for PackMan
    ... You mean the "Packages to configure"? ... fact that items in that window can be selected. ... the window for the current app. ... installation (though that's at odds with my comments about the drag and drop ...
    (comp.sys.acorn.apps)