Re: [kde-linux] Sound conversion from .rm to.mp3

James Richard Tyrer wrote:
LM--- wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have been a plain user of Linux for almost three years now, sporting
Debian 4.0 Etch, now with Kernel 2.6.18, KDE 3.5 on a Pentium PC with
AMD Athlon1800+, and I'm very satisfied.

I was looking for a tool to convert sound, i.e. .rm files to .mp3 files.
I was told to try SoundConverter which I found in the Debian repository.

Now I realised that the programme is not able to convert .rm files to
.mp3 files. Several gstreamer plugins are installed (several of the
gstreamer0.10 series AND I installed gstreamer0.8-lame and
gstreamer-mad, as I read that they were necessary) and the corresponding
libraries libgstreamer0.8 and libgstreamer0.10 but there's nothing to be
done. I still can't convert as I wish.

Does it have to do with a new built-in limitation (a licencing problem?)
or did I miss something?

Anybody having help for me?

First, you need to realize that any GUI application for audio is a front
end for an application that can be accessed from the command line.

So, if I wanted to convert file <x>.rm to Vorbis I could use the command:

mplayer -ao pcm <x>.rm | oggenc -o <x>.ogg -

{note the "-" at the end; this IS required}

should convert <x>.rm to <x>.ogg IF, and only if, mplayer can play the file.

I don't seem to have an <x>.rm file available, so I can't try this.

IAC, if MPlayer won't do it, there are other Linux players (e.g. Xine &
FFMPEG) that might work. There might be a GUI front end that would do
this, I don't really know. Perhaps someone else knows.

I guess mplayer -ao pcm <x>.rm | oggenc -o <x>.ogg - won't work. Because
you try to perform on-fly encoding from stdout. -ao pcm argument won't
perform any stdout output and will write audiodump.wav on your hard
disk. So you can't use this kind of piping. I guess that would be a
better idea to solve the problem in a single line:

$ mplayer file.rm -ao pcm && lame -m s --cbr -b 320 -s 44.1
audiodump.wav file.mp3 && rm -f audiodump.wav

Will encode file.rm -> file.mp3 with CBR/320Kbps/44Khz/Stereo

Best wishes,
flux

  • Re: Not sure what distro is best for me...
    ... > I'd like to give Linux a try. ... > University, but I've had a terribly bad experience with Debian, I ... if possible without having to use the command line. ... > At last it should be very easy to use, to install, to configure. ...
    (alt.linux)
  • Re: Re: Re: Mount failed: Invalid argument
    ... when you boot the official Debian CD. ... command line, but I am not familiar with Linux ... I'll probably consider another installer if I ...
    (Debian-User)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Sound conversion from .rm to.mp3
    ... I was told to try SoundConverter which I found in the Debian repository. ... you need to realize that any GUI application for audio is a front ... if I wanted to convert file.rm to Vorbis I could use the command: ... IAC, if MPlayer won't do it, there are other Linux players (e.g. Xine & ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Need Help with post debian 3.0 install
    ... > with about 7 disks worth of debian stuff. ... > line but what programs can you run from the command line other than low ... > get another editor and install it but guess what, ... specific, not Linux specific. ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: Debian: A noob query
    ... need to do a job that requires 'dependable' software, I use Debian. ... Try out several distros of Linux that are run from a 'Live CD/DVD'. ... is much easier than doing an install and experimenting on your machine. ... Ah well, I try that one too...., but I have to download that too after ...
    (Debian-User)