Re: [kde-linux] Possibility of problems when copying files over?

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 06:30:35 david wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
I'm getting a bit worried about this laptop, as it seems to have a few
problems not seen on any other computers on the LAN. For instance, if I
log out > End Session it freezes on a blank screen.

The laptop has had a hard-drive replacement. Before it went back to the
manufacturer I made a backup of all data and config files. All my .kde
folder was copied back. The old drive had Mandriva 2007.1 and the new
one has Mandriva 2008. Does anyone know whether there have been any
significant changes that would cause problems if the old config file is
being used?

I'm using old config file, but not Mandriva, and often have that
problem. Sometimes it works fine if I sit there moving the mouse around.
Sometimes it returns to my text login screen, with various error
messages being displayed about fontconfig or "Bad Window" messages from
KDE. All in all, I blame the increasingly-faulty quality control of the
KDE team.

I don't think that's a fair comment. I have always avoided upgrades, knowing
that problems like this can occur. Copying those files across like that is
much the same as doing an upgrade. Unfortunately I broke my own rule, and
didn't back up the original .kde folder. What I'd really like to do is to
back up the current one and get a clean .kde folder again, so that I can
reinstate only the essential folders, such as mail.

Anne