[kde] Installing kde from scratch

From time to time I've seen the comment on here that to get the most from
linux it's best to install from scratch - kernel and then on up.

As I'm about to go for a complete machine rebuild I'm tempted to try it but
haven't had much luck finding a decent web page with complete instructions.
One of my main concerns are lib files as distro's take a lot of the sweat out
of that. Anyone know of one. Or have a better suggestion.

Failing that I'm also wondering which distro uses the most vanilla and up to
date set up and above all else updates with most ease. Suse likes to just
ignore what was there and the update that are provided often cripple what
ever is there.

--
Regards
John

Suse 10.0
KDE 3.4.2 B

  • Penguin recovery mode
    ... I had upgraded the duel-boot box from suse 10 to suse 10.1 and had ... yast-online-update package manager with some daft bit of novell dross ... site for searching for updates. ... and the replacements are so mindnumbingly slow ...
    (uk.rec.sheds)
  • RE: [SLE] No mouse pointer after SuSE 9.0 Pro install.
    ... > The mouse worked fine with pointer during the entire install process. ... Welcome to SuSE. ... You move about in the yast screens using and your ... Install the Security Updates ASAP. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [SLE] Update-o-matic
    ... YAST == Updates through the SuSE system, but only interactively, no cron ... of us have come to the conclusion that ZenWorks is a thoroughly broken ... maxes out your CPU for three to four minutes just to check for updates, ... SYNAPTIC == GUI interface for APT, no packages for SuSE at the moment. ...
    (SuSE)
  • [opensuse] Reinstall of 11.1 troubles
    ... After I got some updates, my system crashed and failed to start up after that, with lots of complaints about problems with the iptables. ... When the SuSE installation software was setting things up, did it bother to make a backup of the repositories I had already set up? ... The display has come up in a low resolution mode and I am installing this using a 1080x1200 monitor. ... All of the necessary buttons to Accept settings are off screen and these tools do not supply a scroll bar in order for me to bring these buttons on screen. ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: Apache update from SuSE ??
    ... >> Is this a special SuSE patched version? ... > for your distribution to fix it, but have to build your own Package ... the current distribution is SuSE 8. ... SuSE has a good track record of releasing updates for all supported ...
    (Focus-Linux)