Re: [kde] Any KDE GUI-based equivalent of the Unix "write" command?

On Tuesday 22 July 2008, Alessandro Bottoni wrote:
I'm looking for a tool that can be used like the venerable Unix "write"
command in the KDE environment. In other words, I need a way to send a
(text) message to another user of the same (Linux/BSD) machine and
pop-up a QT/KDE message box in his/her KDE Desktop.

This need is the consequence of the use of tools like timeoutd, pyttymon
and autolog. As you probably know, these toosl are used to limit the
time a user can stay connected to a Unix (and X11) session.
Unfortunately, the warning messages sent by these tools are addressed to
the user's TTY console and are not visibile in the KDE (or Gnome) desktop.

I know of KNotify but I wonder if there is another, maybe simpler way to
perform such a task.

I understand I could use Kopete o Pidgin to send/receive such messages
but I would like to use a system that does not require any kind of user
registration (put aside the existing Unix account).

Any suggestion?

If I understand you correctly you mainly need the receiver part of this,
right?

I think there is a KDE service somewhere under KDE Components in KDE's control
center, which can listen for write messages and display them.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring

  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is a string literal in the i18n function. ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Yet another failed KDE release?
    ... ESPECIALLY after promising support "as long as there are users!" ... triggered a drop of a lot of my former kde software choices with the bump ... kmail, but somewhere about the time it lost my 10th mail or so and I was ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... It is not necessarily inexperience of the developer in matter of development, ... had on qt4 was already not negligible. ... kde are getting more full-time professional development and support than ... mostly optional modular libraries built around a central core. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde-linux] Kget "My Downloads" [Is this MS Windows?]
    ... Even if one does do that the answer could be that there is no such API at the ... KDE hasn't reached that number of contributors or popularity yet where it ... working on developer documentation. ... produce a 99% working product as well as producing new nifty features. ...
    (KDE)
  • [kde] Re: A beginning programmer
    ... languages to start trying to help everyone here at KDE ... just automating things better or providing certain workflows in a more ... A patch is often only understandable in the context it applies to, ... Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer ...
    (KDE)