Re: [kde-linux] k3b verify problem

On Thursday 31 July 2008 14:51:31 Dale wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
On Thursday 31 July 2008 08:58:50 Dale wrote:
Anne Wilson wrote:
Is there a problem with k3b in 2008.1? I've just installed Mandriva on
my daughter's laptop and confidently told her to burn with k3b. She
burned one, the disc ejected, but didn't retract and the verify stuck
there. The second time she caught it as it ejected and pushed it in
immediately it released. It didn't verify. I changed the setting so
that it wouldn't eject, but the third burn didn't verify either.

That is, not that they gave a 'bad burn' but that it didn't even start
to verify.

Anyone know why or what I can do? It's most embarrassing. I told her
that it was so simple and reliable, but I'll not convince her if she
can't verify her backups.

Anne

Hi Anne,

You may want to check the Gentoo mailing lists and/or forums. I
remember this being a issue a few months ago. I think it has been fixed
but not real sure.

I'll do some googling, but I remember that many people reported that
setting the tray not to eject solved their problem. I'm pretty sure I
did that on one of my systems, too, so I was shocked to find that it
didn't solve it on this system.

Anne

This may help:

root@smoker / # equery list k3b
[ Searching for package 'k3b' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ~] app-cdr/k3b-1.0.5-r1 (0)
root@smoker / # equery list hal
[ Searching for package 'hal' in all categories among: ]
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] app-misc/hal-info-20070618 (0)
[I--] [ ] sys-apps/hal-0.5.9.1-r3 (0)
root@smoker / #

That's my versions of k3b and hal. It does not verify if it is set to
eject but does if it is set not to eject. That is the status with these
versions anyway. May want to check what versions you have available.

Thanks. I can't check her laptop at the moment, but I have made some
interesting discoveries.

As I said originally, I had set k3b to not eject. With this set, CDs and
DVD+RW disks do verify, but DVD-R disks do not. Mostly they just hang at the
50% with the verify not starting, but twice k3b has crashed at that point.

I've reported it on the Mandriva bugzilla. I wonder whether anyone else will
confirm that the type of disk is relevant.

Anne