From: Neeraj Vaidya <neeraj.vaidya@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: kde-linux@xxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, 11 August, 2008 10:50:24 PM
Subject: [kde-linux] Problem logging in as non-root user

Hi,
I desperately need help on this. I googled a lot for this error , but all posts only ended without any solution.

I installed KDE 3.5.6 and I am able to successfully launch the KDE session when I issue startx from a root session.

I have setup my inittab to start kdm on boot.

When I try to login as a
normal (non-root) user , I get stuck at the message saying "Loading Desktop...."

There is just a mouse pointer which I can move around. Nothing else
happens. I then kill X by ctrl-alt-backspace. This brings me to the
console where I can see the following errors in the ~/.xsession-errors
file. Can somebody please help me with this ?

(I am guessing that this
could be a permissions issue. Since the root is able to get to the
desktop as cleanly as a whistle). Also , it seems strange that iceauth
is not able to find the shared library whereas it clearly eists in a
very "popular" location /usr/X11R6/lib. Also , the LD_LIBRARY_PATH has
been updated with this path.

I know a lot of you are going to tell me to upgrade to KDE 4 , but I
want to first know why I am not able to login as non-root in this case.

Here is the ~/.xsession-errors file:

startkde: Starting up...

/usr/X11R6/bin//iceauth: error
while loading shared libraries: libICE.so.6: cannot open shared object
file: No such file or directory

ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach
failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication
protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

ICE Connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach
failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication
protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

DCOPServer self-test failed.

iceauth: error while loading shared libraries: libICE.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, aborting.

Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused

kbuildsycoca running...

kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed

kded: Fatal IO error: client killed

klauncher: Exiting on signal 15

kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed

ksmserver: Fatal IO error: client killed

startkde: Shutting down...

Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory

Error: Can't contact kdeinit!

  • [kde-linux] Problem logging in as non-root user
    ... I installed KDE 3.5.6 and I am able to successfully launch the KDE session when I issue startx from a root session. ... while loading shared libraries: libICE.so.6: cannot open shared object ... failed Authentication Rejected, ... kdeinit: DCOPServer could not be started, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: Logon Window Appears on siblings of authenticated directories
    ... Windows Auth, and a physical directory under root. ... authentication when my user identity was recognized on the machine -- which ... when virtual directories and authentication are ...
    (microsoft.public.inetserver.iis)
  • Re: Forms Authentication - Cookie not being generated...
    ... It was very interesting and I learnt plenty from just taking ... Never thought I could secure a directory from one root ... The login page is ... > access with Forms authentication so your login page (and all protected ...
  • Re: pubkey works for user: why not root ?
    ... AND to add the line "AllowUsers sean root" (multiple users can be allowed, ... debug1: Connection established. ... debug2: fd 3 setting O_NONBLOCK ... debug1: Next authentication method: publickey ...
    (SSH)
  • Re: Enabling telnet, ftp, pop3 for root...
    ... if you allow root login without ... Where did I say ANYTHING about not using authentication. ... If you dissallow direct root login, ... The ssh account is only used for remote login. ...
    (alt.os.linux)