Re: [kde] KDE 4.2.0 on Mandriva

On Wednesday 04 February 2009 23:52:51 Frank Weng (a.k.a. Franklin) wrote:
Hi,

I read Heliocastro's blog and knew that he had put a 4.2.0 package for
Mandriva 2009.0. I was excited and upgraded my KDE to 4.2.0 soon.

On one of my machine, it worked well. However on another one with nvidia
9500 and compiz turned on, it told me that kde4-window-decorator received a
signal 6 (SIGABRT).

I tried to disable compiz and even removed my .kde4 to start over, and it
worked. Then I tried to reinstall my nvidia driver, then tried compiz
again, I got the same errors.

I forgot to record the trace log :( and I just applied account on
www.kdevelopers.org and not being approved yet, so I could not post a
comment to tell Helios. I post here to ask all of you if you had the same
problem.

Franklin, probably not what you wanted to hear, but I wonder if you would
consider dropping compiz (at least temporarily) and trying kde's desktop
effects, selecting the effects that give you compiz-like performance. It would
be good to know whether it does the same job, as well as compiz did. I
suspect that, if it does, it would be a better option, in that it uses kde
tools.

Anne

  • [kde] KDE 4.2.0 on Mandriva
    ... Mandriva 2009.0. ... I was excited and upgraded my KDE to 4.2.0 soon. ... I tried to disable compiz and even removed my .kde4 to start over, ... Then I tried to reinstall my nvidia driver, then tried compiz again, ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [opensuse] Suse 10.3 Beta1 +Compiz-fusion (Solved) NOT!
    ... As for updating Xorg did you try updating to newer 7.2 packages? ... Then I changed the repository to ... Compiz is much faster and the compiz setting application is very nice. ... Finally got back into KDE ...
    (SuSE)
  • Re: [FC15] Change help bubble window colors on Kate editor?
    ... and may not be a setting in kate at all is the help bubbles. ... This is set via the KDE "System Settings" applet, ... While KDE /can/ use Compiz, it does not use Compiz by default for its 3D ... is a compositing window manager with 3D support, ...
    (alt.os.linux)
  • Re: [opensuse] Using desktop cube
    ... you use compiz as your window manager (which runs on top of the kde ... desktop effects completely independent of compiz), you use the KDE ... Others on this list have used it with kde4, however, so they might like to ...
    (SuSE)