[kde] configuration on kde 4.2

Hello all,

I have had a look at kde 4.2 today. In my case the official slackware packages now
in /current/testing.

I've spent some time getting the feel of it and am liking it more as I go but
there are some niggling configuration issues I have yet to sort out.

One can no longer create an icon on the desktop using rightclick create link to
application. How is it now done.

I quite liked being able to put my mouse over an icon in konqueror and having a
little popup tell me things like what type of video file/encoding it was, what
type of audio it contained, etc. I have not figured out how to get this in
dolphin. Is it possible?

I have not found any way to set file associations except through configure
konqueror. Is there another way?

It seems that somehow scribus has been set at the top or near the top as
associated with every type of text file. It would take ages to delete it manually
from every text file listing using configure konqueror. Are there any settings
files related to this that I could just run through with awk or sed and delete all
the scribus entries and if so where are they.

Finding the new way to do configuration is the most trying thing so far otherwise
this will be enjoyable once I get used to it.

TIA and cheers!

  • Re: [kde] configuration on kde 4.2
    ... I quite liked being able to put my mouse over an icon in konqueror and ... I have not found any way to set file associations except through configure ... Most things that were in kcontrol are now in systemsettings. ... This message is from the kde mailing list. ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] Whats the official status of 3.5.x, anyway?
    ... It is bullshit when you state that you are being forced to use KDE4. ... mostly unconnected with KDE. ... the-less, I expect konqueror 4.x to work better (or anyway, not worse, it ... of the java and scripting applet in konqueror's config/preferences), ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] I just noticed: no more crashes! Thanks, KDE team!
    ... I've been sort of busy for a while, and then a little ill, so not much ... acitivity here and with KDE. ... From what I understand enabling this option in Konqueror enables it ... krunner was MUCH more stable for me after I followed the suggestion ...
    (KDE)
  • Re: [kde] THE kde desktop is slow...
    ... I takes long time to load the desktop successfully, ... For example, I want to open the konqueror,or opera. ... I haven't updated it in awhile, but I run kde ... tho it /has/ been awhile since I updated; ...
    (KDE)
  • [opensuse] First impressions and questions from 11.0
    ... Installation is easy and fast. ... Opening KDE 4.0 for the first time. ... Then I decide to see if the great konqueror has been killed off. ... Will I update my server? ...
    (SuSE)